Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend!



Saturday daddy worked at the firehouse and Sunday he worked overtime. So, we went to bring him clothes, a lunch, and some company. Both Conor and Megan wanted to stay with daddy at work!

These days Conor's favorite thing is to make up stories about emergencies. He draws chalk pictures of boys playing with matches, and is obsessed with a show called FIREMAN SAM. Gee, either we have a little pyro, or a future firefighter!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!!!





We didn't really have plans for Memorial Day, but it turned out to be a wonderful day! The TV was in "TIME OUT" due to Conor's behavior at church yesterday. I must admit that I like days without TV, but it usually means taking a shower WITH my kids and not getting much housework done. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


(back to the topic) This morning Brian participated in the Honor Guard, marching in the town parade. For lunch we ate BBQ hotdogs, watermelon, grapes, green salad, chips & dip, and Conor had an ice cream cone. As a family we drove to pick up grandma to take her to the cemetary. It is the first Memorial Day to visit Brian's dad's grave. We told Conor we were going to visit grandpa, and he innocently asked, "How do we get there?" I wondered if he thought we were heading to heaven. We put flowers on grandpa's plot. It doesn't have a headstone yet. And we looked around at other family members and friends who were buried there. Going to any cemetary makes me think about my dad. I used to feel kind of morbid going to his grave. But now that I'm so far away from it, I miss being able to visit. I realize now that visiting grave sites and bringing flowers to show our respect helps with healing somehow.


Today it was absolutely perfect weather, not the rainy day they predicted. Megan was waltzing around the headstones like it was a park, tugging on the American flags marking veteran's graves. Conor insited on bringing his cherry picker and zooming it across peoples' plots. With all the cars coming and going, Brian and I were on duty to keep our kids safe, as well as enjoy the patriotism of visiting a Koren War Veteran's grave. American flags were everywhere!


HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!!



PS. It's been awhile since I have posted anything. I am very proud of the fact that I was recently published in a women's magazine entitled EXPONENT. I wrote about being bi-polar. I think you have to have a subscription to read it online, but here is the link: www.exponentii.com

2 comments:

CMHill said...

Darling pictures. Looks like lots of fun.

Wendster said...

Jen, I would love to read your article but am having a hard time finding the magazine. Where do I go? Lee's dad is bi-polar and I would love to hear about your experience with it. You might also like to read what Dr. John DeMartini says about bi polar issues. It all comes down to balance in your life ... that's his point of view. He's brilliant. Just type his name into google and it will bring up his site and his articles.
I love your blog! Such great photos. And I especially like your writing style. No doubt about it, you should write more. I hope you'll stop by my blog too. Lots of photos of my happy family there to share.
I am so happy that my old pal Brian met you. It looks to me like he is the happiest clam in the ocean ... It's always nice to stop by his blog and see his happy family photos ... but your blog is more fun to read. Shhhhh. ha ha. I hope you don't mind me stopping in to your blog once in a while?
Have a great weekend!
Wendy