My friend (who I WISH still lived down the street from me!) helps me to be somewhat cultured and informed. She reminds me when the PBS Masterpiece Classic series begins, and she keeps my TIME subscription current, among other things.
Last night I began watching the 1st half (recorded from last Sunday) of Tess of the D’urbervilles at 8:15pm. I could NOT stop watching. I also watched the 2nd half and I finshed at quarter past 1 in the morning. I completely forgot about the world around me and I was consumed with Tess' tragic circumstances. Holy cow. Totally and utterly depressing. I cried almost the entire 4 hours. My eyes were sore and still hurt when I went to bed. But, I loved the show. Love is probably not the right word here, but I was compelled to watch it, similar to last year's Jane Austen series. I don't know if others found/will find it a bit harsh or violent but I was completely sucked into the story and felt such a range of emotions. I had to see how it ended. Wow is all I can say. The only thing that could have made it better would have been watching it WITH my friend!
6 comments:
I was watching it TOO!!! ;) I actually missed the first half and just came across it late last night. I was glued. Yes, it was tragic. I somehow hoped it would turn out rosy, but not so. It definitely is one to watch with a box of tissue.
Oh boy, I love this book. And I just did a quick search and found that you can watch it online this week here! Watch out State of Neglect, here I (and my house and kids) come. Thanks for the heads up.
Ooh, sorry I missed it! I'll have to look for it again. I have yet to watch the Jane Austen ones from last year, but I have them recorded.
Me too. I'm still trying to finish the 1st. I should be able to make a good dent in it today. :)
Ok, just finished it (Max is at preschool). Wow. I can't bloody stop crying. Kind of makes you hate men - and her MOTHER!?!?!?! - doesn't it?
Oh, this is one of my favorite books--ever. So strange that I never really got into Jane Austen's books, but I loved the darker Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I'll have to look this up and watch it sometime.
Post a Comment