Tuesday, March 30, 2010

More than OUTRAGED

With General Conference approaching and spring arriving I feel thankful to have the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life and in the life of my family. Here is just one of the many reasons why I feel grateful....


A few weeks ago I attended a town-sponsored forum for parents about technology and how we can align our family values with the various forms of technology available. The presenter was Dr. Sharon Maxwell, whose insights aligned with many of my own values. It was eye-opening as she described the need to create a sort of island for own family cultures so that the "raging water" around us doesn't suck our children in. My goal in going was to be informed, but she mentioned during her lecture that it isn't enough to be informed. We need ongoing, active conversations with our children so that the things they face go through the filter of what we taught them, not what they will learn from others. This resonated with me. Although I was hesitant to discover the reality of what goes on in middle schools, high schools, and in kids' bedrooms related to cell phones and the Internet, I know that my children will benefit from my being able to discuss it candidly with them. I believe the doctrines of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints provide the ideal filter for our family (if Brian and I teach the doctrines properly). It was a very productive and thought-provoking discussion.

One of the points Dr. Maxwell made was that kids need to view their access to the Internet and technology as a privilege, paired with responsibility. We as their parents are the gatekeepers of their access to it. She suggested having a strict contract with our children (age-appropriate) outlining how and when they can use the Internet. She described how many kids stay up until 2 o'clock in the morning texting their friends, often texting about very inappropriate and sexual things. She counseled parents to make a firm rule that when your teenagers go to bed they have to leave their i-pods or i-phones in the kitchen. It is too much to expect them to turn off this "portal to the world" on their own, especially when we as their parents have a difficult time walking away from our email and browsing the Internet!

One of the most disheartening stories she shared with us was about a young boy who played a violent and pornographic video game at a friend's house. Long story short, the parents of the two boys communicated and spoke to the video store, who subsequently took the game off their shelves. She told us that video games are extremely dangerous in terms of violent and sexual content. If our kids are spending hours of the day gaming, they are repetitively getting quick stimulation to their brains. She described this rush of winning and the withdrawal of losing in video games as a cocaine-like addiction to our brains. The title of my post - "More than OUTRAGED" - was the feeling I had as Dr. Maxwell told us about the content of this filthy and vulgar video game. I had a similar feeling tonight as I read an article on CNN's website: A "Top Pick" featuring another pornographic video game spurring an outrage in Japan, and rightly so! This link will take you to the story --- with my warning and disclaimer --- it's not easy to read about schmuck like this. Again, I am a proponent of being informed, only if we choose to do something productive with what we learn. The content of this video game is morally degrading and absolutely disgusting. I am just so infuriated about things like this and the justifications of those who produce them. The bottom line is that people are willing to put money above anything, even complete degradation of women and children, and will sell anything to make a profit. Should there be laws and limits against material like this? Of course there should.

In my head I can hear President Hinckley's voice saying, "STAND FOR SOMETHING!" The Young Women (of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) stand and recite what they stand for each Sunday, "We are are daughters of our Heavenly Father who loves us and we love him. We will stand as witnesses of God in all things and in all places and at all times as we strive to live the Young Women values, which are: Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Choice and Accountability, Knowledge, Good Works, Integrity and Virtue." Additionally, "For the Strength of Youth is a guide given by the First Presidency of the Church to young men and young women. It presents the standards of the Church and teaches youth how to apply them." It includes a specific section on ways to responsibly use entertainment and the media.


I am passionate about these issues so I was very thankful for Dr. Maxwell's expertise and willingness to share ideas about how we can protect our children and give them a safe place to navigate their world. Our goal is for our children to be protected with the values that we teach them as they are bombarded by strong negative influences around them. My blog was my only recourse. No comments necessary. I just had to express how angry I feel about the lack of virtue and integrity of many wicked and selfish people. I don't have teenagers yet, so I have a lot to learn. Dr. Maxwell said (paraphrased from my notes), "Desire is activated 24/7 in our culture. Unless we can transform our desires/energies into productive work, we will be consumed by them." She mentioned that in April there will be a conference in Boston for the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood. I'd like to somehow make an impact in public policy to protect our children. This seems like a good place to start......


3 comments:

McCombs Family said...

I feel your anger sis. We have seen horrible things happen to very young teens just because "it all started with the internet". My one caution is to be careful what responsibilities you want the government to have. My opinion is to throw away your TV before you put ask the govnt. to put restrictions on "evil" companies for advertising. Go on a bug hunt, go fly a kite or act out a play to protect your kids against childhood obesity and immoral content. One more idea...go with Netflix instead of TV. NO Commercials and much better selection. I have to admit I am scared to have teenagers!!!! You are right about keeping the conversation going and starting early. Love you sis!

Sweeney Household said...

You remember John Harmer, our neighbor in UT? He tried to prosecute and bring legal action against companies who promote pornography. He came & spoke in MA and told us that those companies have so much money that it is next to impossible to win. (over-simplified explanation).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_L._Harmer

I agree that the responsibility to parent is mine and I want it that way. But at the same time, similar to the church's stand on marriage, I want protection of morality.

Traci said...

You are a super parent! We definately have our work cut out for us, thank goodness we have a living prophet to help guide us along. How grateful I am for GC, and all that comes with that. I take so much comfort in knowing that along with Will and I, the Savior, Heavenly Father and the Holy Ghost are sharing that huge responsibility and desire our success. Keep the faith!