Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Parenting Thoughts

Do you ever have days when your world looks dim and gray?  Of course.  I was having a day like that, particularly in regards to my parenting skills.  Could I have possibly done everything wrong?  Have I been too lenient with my children?  In an effort to respect children and try to communicate with them, rather than to be an authoritarian, have I failed to teach them basic decency, respect and good manners?  I recognize, even as I write, that to say I have "failed" them (past tense) is to say that I am done parenting them.  Hardly.  They are 7 and 4 3/4!   Thankfully they don't just have me to parent them.  Brian is a fantastic dad.  Even so, parenting is so much more complicated than I dreamed.

A few weeks ago I found myself browsing friends' blogs, linking to other people's blogs, and eventually reading from lives of people whom I don't even know.  I read some of the NieNie Dialogues and from there linked to her friend who had recently lost her 18-month-old daughter to the effects of a drowning accident.  I sat in front of the computer screen feeling somber.  I felt guilty for not appreciating all that is mine.  How could I not see that my situation in life is easy?  Relatively easy.

I have bi-polar disorder.  On the one hand, I know what it is like to view the world as a dark and unbelievably painful place.  The sense of hopelessness, the guilt and emptiness associated with depression is overwhelming.  As a parent, negative ideas regularly creep into my thoughts.  My brain is proficient at changing negative thoughts to depressed thoughts, without my realizing it.  It's deceiving because some negativity and pessimism is "normal."  And, on the flip side, some manic joy is "normal" too.  I know what it is like to live above the clouds and to feel invincible.  Unfortunately, I also know what it is like to not be able to differentiate reality from delusion. 

As the term bi-polar implies, I often see the world in extremes.  For example, as a parent I see many issues as black and white.  If I read a parenting book that proclaims that rewards and punishments do not show long term effectiveness, I find myself fixated on this particular philosophy.  Intellectually I understand that one parenting book isn't going to have all of the answers.  I also understand that I don't have to give up all of my previous notions about parenting when I learn something new.  In other words, living in the gray is okay (in most areas).  In spite of this, I find myself focusing on either one extreme or the other.  I am also hyper-sensitive to the fact that my children are, or will become, emotionally disturbed.  This may seem humorous because don't we all do this?  Probably.  But, I have a legitimate concern.  My mental illness has the potential to bring suffering to my kids.  When I make a mistake parenting, I am often consumed by that mistake and feel that I have ruined my children.  When I am overwhelmed (a common side-effect of parenting) I am more irritable and lack patience.  I have noticed cycles of "depressed parenting" in my seven years as a mom, and I mourn for the time I have lost enjoying my own children's development.  

Even though I have not been clinically depressed for many years, I have a tendency towards viewing life in a depressed way.  Thankfully, over those years, I have figured out how to manage my more serious symptoms.  The last time I was hospitalized was in 1997.  It is quite remarkable that I have stayed out of the hospital for 13 years.  When I experience success I am not as kind to myself as I'd like to be.  I am proud that I have managed my mental illness well.  I am blessed with a mother who has literally taken each step with me as I have navigated my mental illness.  I have a good support network of friends.  I have a helpful, loving and cheerful husband.  I am thankful to have given birth to two healthy and beautiful children.  I am committed to allow experienced doctors to help me and to stick to my medication regimen.  I am vigilant about preventing myself from becoming a non-functioning person who is paralyzed by despair or immobilized by fear.  And yet I struggle.  We all do.  I humbly recognize that there are no guarantees for my continued good fortune.

Recently I feel disappointed that I tried to be bi-polar incognito.  I never talked about it.  I rarely admitted it to myself, let alone to others.  I carefully tiptoed around it in all my interactions.   I am realizing that I regret hiding my struggle.  I may have been able to be a resource to someone who was suffering.  I acknowledge that bipolar disorder has not flawed my character, nor does it define me.  I am more willing to have people feel awkward when I mention my mental illness or even to reject me.  I am hoping to move forward in my ability to be a good parent and to accept the gray.  I am opening a new chapter in my life as a person living with and managing bi-polar disorder, instead of hiding behind it.  As I wrote in a personal essay, I'd like to speak as openly and candidly about my life experiences dealing with bipolar, just as my mom talks about her encounter with breast cancer.

A friend suggested that I read a book called The Parenting Breakthrough.  The author gives advice about raising capable children by teaching them how to do for themselves, rather than doing for them.  After reading the first few chapters I felt defeated.   I asked myself once again if  I needed to abandon my current parenting style.  Then I was able to stop myself.  I don't have to give up on all the good things I've done as a parent.  . . .  Perhaps I have had my own breakthrough.  I will take some of the advice I agree with and implement it into our own parenting plan.  And I will leave the rest behind.  

I am learning to be thankful for the gray days and not judging myself for having them.  And for me that means I'm doing something right.


post script:   I wrote this post before General Conference.  I want to acknowledge that I received a LOT of guidance in the very subject I had so many questions about, namely parenting.  God is always aware of our personal and individual struggles.  I know God loves me.

8 comments:

J S and S said...

I love you! You are an amazing parent and person! You are SO strong! -JS&S

P.S. I read nie nie and cjane too. Sikoti makes fun of me because I don't even know them...

J S and S said...

M0m left a comment from julie's house... you need to go back into your site and make bold the post script... How great that you can write like this. I hope that you continue to build others up by telling them that you can make it in this world. XOXOX MOM I want a copy of the weather picture. It should be your christmas card!

Unknown said...

I love this post. I realize how difficult it might have been to post it but I want you to know how much I appreciate it.

When Dave was diagnosed with bi-polar he had the same attitude. He wanted people to know that it was okay and yes, he had struggles but it didn't define who he was. It was an illness that he was trying to manage and cope with.

I know you have days that are harder then others but I want you to know that I think you are a great Mom and I know your children and Brian would agree! What a wonderful General Conference. It is such a great reminder that our Heavenly Father is there. He loves us and knows our pain and struggles.

We should get together soon once things in my life settle down a bit! Thanks for the notes, I love them!

Large Marge said...

Thank you for writing this. I didn't know that you deal with bipolar disorder. My mom's been hospitalized for it a few times too. So I don't have bipolar but I am familiar with it in my life. And I've certainly had my share of gray mothering days. You are brave and good.

Laurel

amydear said...

Wow. I never knew you had bipolar disorder. I never would have guessed. You always seemed so calm and put together. I think you are an amazing parent, a great mother. And I think all parents feel the way you do a lot of the time, even without a diagnosis. I worry about my parenting style quite often, and pray about being a better parent constantly. Thank goodness for inspiration!

BunchesofBradys said...

And all these past few years I've been wanting you to share what it's like to be a mom with bi-polar... Only because I'm super curious and I was a child development major and thought it very intriguing the effects on both mother and child. But, I always felt weird asking...and how would I ask? I just wasn't sure. ANYWAY,
I LOVED THIS ESSAY (or whatever you call it)...I think you should write a book...I'm not kidding. I think you could give a lot of people hope that themselves, or their mother, or whomever they know that this disorder affects, more hope,more understanding, and more love. While reading, I felt hope in my parenting skills by reading your everyday struggles you've had. I just had a conversation to a past ward member who was struggling with being a mom. As we shared our struggles, we felt comfort...Don't we all struggle in some way or another? But this, this would help people understand this certain struggle. Can we hear more? Do you have any other thoughts on the subject? Again, I loved it! Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad you were prompted to share your experiences.

Jody said...

Jeni, Jeni, Jeni....you are AMAZING! Thanks for the way you spoke with me on the phone about this very thing a few weeks back so I could share with my friend who is dealing with her daughter's recent diagnosis of bipolar disorder. As always, you are an example to us all. Thank you for sharing and for teaching your older sister about life! I love you!!

Melanie said...

That was a wonderful essay. I still remember hearing you bear your testimony about how you'd sing/listen to hymns during your pregnancy to help you stay positive. I'm so glad you are willing to share your struggles, especially with parenting. I think you are a fantastic mother and your children are blessed to have YOU!