A new Blog Tradition: SUNDAY FUNNIES! I had a great idea today when Conor and Megan both made comments that made me delay eating my lunch, grab a pencil and paper, and write as fast as I could to capture the exact phrasing of what they said. FUNNY!
Don't hold me to doing Sunday Funnies every week, but I'd like to dedicate some posts to include some of the funny cartoon-like experiences we have in our house. It doesn't only happen with toddlers around.
The debut post for Sunday Funnies happens to address the very two subjects that are never to be discussed publicly, are considered totally taboo, and will spark more controversy than any others: Politics and Religion.
After three hours of church on Sunday, including the hour leading up to making it to church on time, and the 1/2 hour after church when the kids run rampant in the gym with little or no supervision, everybody is pretty hungry, ornery, and often tired, we walked into our house this afternoon. I asked my usual question about what the kids were willing to eat. Then, we had the following discussion over milk and chicken nuggets. I was casually trying to follow up on an intensely emotional exchange we had on the way home from church.
Mom: People in church can be mean or rude, but Heavenly Father and Jesus are always good. We don't go to church for the people. We go because we believe in Heavenly Father and Jesus. And we want to show them that we respect them and that we want to worship them. We go because we know the church is true.
Conor: Is our church the true church? How do we know?
Mom: I believe it is. But, you can ask and receive an answer for yourself.
Megan: Like Joseph Smith.
{pause}
Megan: But you have to go in the woods.
This was the "perfect segue" into a discussion about why there were some photographers from CNN taking video of us today in our Sacrament Meeting Service. (By the way, you can see the back of our heads in the pew at about 3 minutes 20 seconds into the broadcast. They filmed our singing and basically the announcements portion of our meeting -- no pictures of prayers or talks.) I asked the kids if they knew why the news came to take pictures of us at church. I explained that Mitt Romney is running for President of the United States and he is Mormon, to which Megan replied,
"Ya, so if people are watching TV, they can accidentally choose that channel and then they get excited and keep watching!?"
Conor began walking away (to go see if he was on CNN because he told me that his head was about 5 feet away from the camera) and said, "If he (Romney) wins, they'll probably make like five new churches in all the world. Well..... like five new churches in every country. And if he doesn't (win), they'll probably just make one or two."
You would have wanted a seat at our table for lunch. And not for the chicken nuggets.
4 comments:
I like the idea of your "Sunday Funnies." It would be fun to sit at your table and enjoy the tantalizing conversations. By the way, I also really like the main photo of Conor and Megan--so cute!
What a great idea! I love it!
Your little nuggets say the cutest things. ;)
FYI, I went back in to my post and changed the link to the actual CNN broadcast if anyone is interested in watching it. You can see the back of our heads in one of the pews (Brian was at the firehouse). Thankfully we were on our best behavior at that moment.
Post a Comment