Upon recommendation I just read Orange is the New Black about a woman who spent a year in prison. Kerman is an excellent writer, and though there is definitely "prison language" throughout the book (go figure), it's message is uplifting towards humanity. One of my favorite paragraphs was this one:
"Small kindnesses and simple pleasures shared were so important, whether given or received, regardless of what quarter they came from, that they brought home to me powerfully that I was not alone in this world, in this life. I shared the most basic operating system with people who ostensibly had little in common with me. I could connect -- perhaps with anyone."
I feel the same way about people, particularly the women in my life over the years. We do all seem to share the same "operating system," no matter how different we are.

2 comments:
I'll have to check it out. And by the way, I think Brian should grow his beard again. Just sayin' ;)
I have to beg to differ. Not on the book, but on the Santa Claus beard. Crackin' me up!! xoxoxo
Post a Comment