Friday, December 21, 2012

Suffer the little children...

There is a trend with me, running on the treadmill, and writing blog posts.  I suppose it's when I do my best and deepest thinking.  Most often I watch the news while running, and as you know, as of late, the news has focused on the horrific act of violence in CT.  Having taught in public schools and currently working as a substitute teacher, not to mention the fact that I am a mother of a 1st grader (and a 3rd grader), has caused me a lot of reflection.  What would I do if I were the teacher?  The principal?  A parent of one of the children? A child at the school?  Would I be brave and smart?

On Monday morning while running I was choking back tears as I realized that without doubt I would give my life for any of the children I have taught.  This is no mark of honor --- most of us would.  I simply love children and I love their absolute trust in their teachers.  Even while subbing, within the first half hour of the day, I'll have a child come and give me a big hug.  Some say things like, "Your the best substitute ever!" or even, "I love you."  It is evidence of God's love for the world.   This morning as I observed the moment of silence in honor of the 20 children and 6 brave adults who died last Friday, I was so thankful for the knowledge I have that children are made perfect in Christ.

May we as a nation seek peace, help those who lead troubled lives, and mourn with those who mourn at this hopeful time of the year.

No comments: