Saturday, January 5, 2008

Resolutions!? *%$#!

I just read an article in TIME magazine (thanks to a friend for the subscription!) about "New Year's Irresolution." It sparked some thoughts....

Yesterday I was heading to the library for a fun activity with the kids about COLORS. I was in a hurry to get a parking place close to the library entrance because it was about 8 degrees outside. I'm always in a hurry because it takes 15 or 20 extra minutes to get my kids dressed, in their cold weather gear, get them to wait for me to get dressed, and to be agreeable to my plans. I hit a fork in the road where I had to decide which way to go (2 roads diverged in a yellow wood....) and I decided on the one where the Winchester police officer was using his radar gun! Bummer.


He put his lights on before I even passed him. I told the kids that I was going too fast so I was getting a ticket. My last words to Brian when I left the house, by the way, were something like, "Honey, don't worry about the UPS package that just arrived. I'm fiscally responsible." All I could think of was the amount of $$ this ticket would cost. The officer took a long time in his car so I was pretty sure of the outcome. My kids began crying because it was taking so long. Then Mr. Officer came back to the car and said, "Mam, I'm giving you a warning. Please slow down." I did slow down and I slowed down today too. It's not really a New Years Resolution I was planning to make, but I do appreciate how a warning like this made me think about how it is important to keep the law and go the speed limit. I don't know if/how my story really fits in to the TIME article but I'm glad the state has laws and limits because it keeps me in check. "Since human frailty is a law of nature," I am thankful for small reminders. Especially when they are "warnings" instead of tickets! We got the closest possible parking spot next to the door at the library after my warning. It was a good day.

3 comments:

Wendster said...

Hi Jen!
I just love your blog. You have great ideas! That's amazing that you took the time to hide 20 clues and spend three hours doing a treasure hunt. What a super mom.
I loved the spinning video, undies and all. Our kids are fellow "spinning" inductees. Even the big ones. From 18 - 4 yrs. old, they range, and when I sit at the piano and play "the spinning song" they still all start spinning. Like a little pavlovian bell, it is to them! hee. If only I had a song for room cleaning. And obedience. And eating what I cooked without complaining. I'd make a million.
Remember how precious your cargo is. I'm glad you decided to slow down.

Queen Elizabeth said...

WHEW!!! Without fail, police pulling me over make me cry...

McCombs Family said...

Jen- funny story. I am picturing myself as the same hairbrained fast driving mother on her way to the library to make it to story time. I got pulled over recently because of our registration. I had all the paper work in the car but he was still annoyed that I hadn't taken the old plates off our car we bought from out in laws. So anyway Annacy was obsessed with the police for weeks after and kept asking me..."are you going to get pulled over again?" "do I get to see a police man again?" "are you going to jail?" funny huh