As I perused some blogs the past few days, I kept reading posts that highlighted bloggers' blessings. It's appropriate, given that it's almost Thanksgiving, and it is refreshing to read about what others are grateful for. It's a nice way to focus on what we have rather than dwelling on the things we don't. Someone I visit teach is actually only offering prayers of thanks this month (no asking!).
What am I thankful for? .... other than the obvious "top 10" (Brian, Conor, Megan, all of my family, God, the gospel of Jesus Christ, good health, food, shelter, and great friends)??!!! Well, here are some things that come to mind ......
1. I am thankful for intelligent doctors and modern medicine. Because of them I can function in a much more productive and loving way.
2. I am thankful for my primary calling and the kids in my class.
3. I am thankful for Brian's perspective on life. It is opposite enough of mine that it balances me out!
4. I am thankful that we don't have a dishwasher. (Well, I am the dish washer. Brian is also the dish washer.) It keeps me humble and it allows me to say, "We don't even have a dishwasher!" in conversations where people feel sorry for themselves. (he he he)
5. I am thankful that my mom and dad served their missions in New England. Their experiences here in MA make me feel connected to them.
6. I am thankful that my mom taught me to be spiritually and emotionally tough. She is my greatest hero.
7. I am thankful that I have gone through hard things so that I can be empathetic to others.
8. I am thankful for writing. I love to write about how I feel, write letters, notes, & cards.
9. I am thankful that I served a mission (for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). It gave me a good foundation. Because of my experiences on my mission I learned a basic, important truth: God loves ALL of His children and so I can learn to do the same.
10. I am thankful for the temple. Not only does the temple provide the way for me to be with my family FOREVER, it allows us to transcend our mortal perspecitve. Each time I go (and I wish it was more) I feel like my life literally changes for the better. Imagine any 2 hour block of time that can do that?!!!
11. And I am thankful to be humbled every day by 2 innocent, sweet children. In an effort to teach them, they teach me much more!
There you have it. I am thankful for lists of more things. I vote that we stick with this attitude of thankfulness as we move into the Christmas season.
3 comments:
Hi Jeni-
I LOVE this post. You made me tear up! I am not thankful for my dishwasher, it is only 2 years old and just broke =(
I am thankful for a sister who is so fun and updates her blog (unlike our other sister Jami - he he). I am also thankful for the movie Twilight - It was awesome! I am so lame and materialistic, I know. I love you Jeni!! I can't wait to think of you on Thanksgiving morning as I try to run. I am having serious lower back pain into my sciatica. People keep on saying, Go see a Chiropractor - then I think of Dad. I'm turning 42 and am trying to pray myself out of it!! JODY
I love your list! I can totally hear your voice in it. Thanks for a great reminder that the season of thankfulness can keep on going after Thanksgiving is over.
I am thankful for YOU!!!! Happy Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment