
President Gordon B. Hinckley wrote a book called Standing for Something (published in 2000) 10 neglected virtues that will heal our hearts and homes. I thought of it today when I was watching the news and heard about this study. Television programs that show explicit sexual conduct, or even innuendos, affect teens sexual behavior. The studies are "catching up" with some of our spiritual leaders' counsel.
Chapter 3 in President Hinckley's book is entitled, "Making a Case for Morality." The heading for the chapter reads as follows, "Both experience and divine wisdom dictate that moral virtue and cleanliness pave the way that leads to strength of character, peace of mind and heart, and happiness in life." Then he goes on to say in that same chapter ,
It is naive to believe that a steady diet of blatant immorality, played out nightly in our living rooms, has no effect on people. I am always curious when individuals insist that what they watch on television or in movie theaters doesn't affect them (pg. 36).
Amen!
(Did I mention that I am nervous about being a mother of teenagers? I pray that I can help my children internalize these 10 virtues that President Hinckley writes about.)
4 comments:
I agree! (some may not agree with this...) and not to take from the spiritual side of your post but I think all teenagers should be required to watch Juno (beware it is PG-13) You'll be a great mom to teenagers! Love you all! -JS&S
I loved Conor's definition of "infinity" ... what smart kids you have!
They must have a super mom.
Good job on your run! I have been happy just to be running back and forth with Tristan from our house to his school lately. And to the bus. And back to the house. Last year I couldn't do that. Feels great to "not be bound to the ground".
Keep up the good work! (loved your fall pics!)
So true!!!
I saw that in the paper too. I told Mark, that it seems like that would be obvious. I'm greatful, and it does make me nervous for when my kids are teenagers too.
Post a Comment