Sunday, April 19, 2009

Megan's Treasures

Megan has become very attached to small objects. She typically carries a treasure or two around with her all day. She takes them in the car, to the gym, outside, and to bed with her. And in the middle of the night she asks where they are. Try finding a tiny black rubber plug (resembling a hat) at about 4:00am, in the dark, on the bottom bunk. These treasures have become challenges to us. Megan gets quite emotional when one of them suddenly disappears. A search party is quickly summoned by her tears. Luckily we have retrieved them each time! Except one of Polly Pocket's purple shoes. Despite daddy's best efforts to find it outside, it was lost. Oh, and she lost a small monkey at the gym. I tried to give these special items a home - a small plastic container - but so far that hasn't prevented them from being lost. She usually carries them around for at least a few days until the next small object catches her attention. These inanimate objects have separate identities from Megan. Today Megan was touching the computer using her beaver. I said, "Megan, don't touch the computer. You'll mess it up." She said, "I not touching the 'puter. Beaver is." Then she made beaver say, "I disappointed at you. I mad." A few minutes later I began singing to the beaver so that he wouldn't be mad at me. "He" said to me, "That give me a headache!" I assume that a child psychologist, or preschool teacher, would tell us that this is a typical practice for a 3-year-old!???


Some of Megan's treasures have included:

* skeleton finger puppet (from a Halloween trick-or-treat bag)
* 2 miniature Polly Pocket dolls
* stretchy frog
* plastic killer whale
* plastic scuba diver
* plastic black jaguar
* plastic monkey
* yellow bouncy ball
* miniature beanie baby bear (from a Happy Meal)
* Playmobil dalmatian
* little rubber plug (part of a toy) that looks like a hat
* beaver finger puppet




5 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

welcome to life with a girl : )

Wendster said...

I was gonna say she's doing the same thing my son is .... so ... welcome to life with boys and girls. lol.

Tristan has to carry a little plastic thing with him most everywhere he goes ... and sometimes he HAS to wear this little car pillow strapped around him, which NO one else understands ... especially people at the airport.

McCombs Family said...

What a funny little girl. She looks so much like Julie in that first picture. Something Fisher about her. The headache part of the story made me laugh out loud. I love the things these kids say.

CMHill said...

That is way cute.

J S and S said...

Megan, I wish I was as cute as you :) We'll have to send you something new to play with and Conor we can send you some candy with a really cool wrapper :) Love you all -JS&S