Maybe this "Philosophy" post can also be my Thankful post for the year. 'Tis the season. I am really thankful for our ability to think and our freedoms to express our views. Having a Blog gives me a small audience. Almost like I am a "real" writer.
Some things I've been thinking about...
This article on the cover of TIME went right along with the topic of a parent workshop I went to a few weeks ago. Michael Thompson's title: "The loss of free and unstructured play in childhood."
As I construct my own meaning of a good parent, I question how much I should be involved. I feel almost heroic when I notice my child's need before he does. I feel compassionate when I get down on my knees to look Megan in the eye when I speak to her. And, every time I read my children a book, I feel like I have my priorities straight. But, quite frankly, I feel like an idiot when I am on the playground after school with other moms. I am trying to fit in, like a sick nightmare in high school. I am trying to be available to Conor, while also letting him work out his own friendship dilemmas. I am trying to tune out Megan screaming, "MOM!" a thousand times because she wants me to push her on the swing. Some outside pressure tells me that I should make her learn to pump independently. It's tiring being a neurotransmitter in my brain. Really tiring. Having said that, I am thankful to be a parent. My kids, and parenting them, has taught me more about patience, love, and myself than I ever imagined.
We haven't eaten the turkey, but we bought pies. Oh, do I love pie. Mann Orchards in Methuen, MA makes the most amazing pies. My top 3 are Squash Pie, Burgandy Pie, and Tom's Famous 5 Fruit Pie (not sure of the correct name of the last one, but it's my new favorite...) I echo my son, "I am thankful for PIE!"
Christmas is coming. Santa is struggling to know what to buy/not buy. Playmobil stuff is such a hit at our house. I have never seen our kids play more creatively than I do when our kids play with this stuff
(and the addition of wooden blocks). We have bins full of tiny pieces. I have it organized pretty well, but we do have a lot. Will the love for it end soon? Santa is experiencing buyer's remorse in November...
Some things I've been thinking about...
This article on the cover of TIME went right along with the topic of a parent workshop I went to a few weeks ago. Michael Thompson's title: "The loss of free and unstructured play in childhood."As I construct my own meaning of a good parent, I question how much I should be involved. I feel almost heroic when I notice my child's need before he does. I feel compassionate when I get down on my knees to look Megan in the eye when I speak to her. And, every time I read my children a book, I feel like I have my priorities straight. But, quite frankly, I feel like an idiot when I am on the playground after school with other moms. I am trying to fit in, like a sick nightmare in high school. I am trying to be available to Conor, while also letting him work out his own friendship dilemmas. I am trying to tune out Megan screaming, "MOM!" a thousand times because she wants me to push her on the swing. Some outside pressure tells me that I should make her learn to pump independently. It's tiring being a neurotransmitter in my brain. Really tiring. Having said that, I am thankful to be a parent. My kids, and parenting them, has taught me more about patience, love, and myself than I ever imagined.
_______________
We haven't eaten the turkey, but we bought pies. Oh, do I love pie. Mann Orchards in Methuen, MA makes the most amazing pies. My top 3 are Squash Pie, Burgandy Pie, and Tom's Famous 5 Fruit Pie (not sure of the correct name of the last one, but it's my new favorite...) I echo my son, "I am thankful for PIE!"
Christmas is coming. Santa is struggling to know what to buy/not buy. Playmobil stuff is such a hit at our house. I have never seen our kids play more creatively than I do when our kids play with this stuff
(and the addition of wooden blocks). We have bins full of tiny pieces. I have it organized pretty well, but we do have a lot. Will the love for it end soon? Santa is experiencing buyer's remorse in November...
1 comment:
And I'm grateful to be part of your audience, especially since we seem to be concerned with the same issues (may have something to do with our kids being the same age). I'm always so glad when you've done the thinking and I get to benefit.
We've just discovered Playmobil (for Bryn's most recent birthday), and I'm a fan. I love the stories Bryn tells with her characters (like the tale of the son of a rabbit farmer who just want be a seal trainer when he grew up and had to find the courage to tell his father).
Post a Comment