Sunday, November 8, 2009

TV LOCKED

Dear Conor and Megan,
As your parents we spend a great deal of time trying to guide you, help you make the best decisions, teach you how to be respectful and kind, and make you productive citizens. We also admit that sometimes we just plain try to trick you. Sometimes we are tired and have no energy for negotiation. Often we even make lame threats and offer bribes.

Daddy came up with the great idea of locking the television. It works! We like to lock it in the mornings so that Conor gets ready for school and we don't have to peel him away from his show. We love to listen to both of you playing and talking downstairs instead of hearing the obnoxious sounds of cartoons. Mommy hates the television, and often threatens to throw it out the window, or not to pay the cable guy anymore. But the lock idea has worked miracles. Sometimes you both outsmart us and find the key. In moments such as the picture below shows, we see that we have also helped you develop ingenuity, clever ideas, and a sense of humor! We'll keep locking the TV, but we hope you'll keep making us laugh.

5 comments:

Wendster said...

Haaaaaa!!!!!!!

Ann-Marie said...

that is the best picture!

McCombs Family said...

I absolutely love this idea! We have banned our good ole babysitter (the TV) from our house during the morning for the same reasons. I think my Brian would have to be the key keeper because I am the one who uses the TV to accomplish chores, workout, shower...you know. I hate it too and I feel horribly guilty when Simons eyes are glazed over. That picture says a ton about kids in general. I love it!

Amy said...

Okay that is awesome!

Elisabeth said...

Jenifer-
That is so funny! I totally hear you on all the tv annoyance, although for me it's the video games that annoy me the most!
Thanks for all of your nice blog comments, I really appreciate them!
Oh, and congratulations on your new calling!

Elisabeth