Sunday, November 8, 2009

What did you do this weekend?




We ran a race! I was signed up for a 5K race on Saturday, November 7th in Wakefield: the Run For All Ages, running around Lake Quannapowitt. It turned out to be a family affair. The kids (and Brian) ran over a mile of the course, and I finished the race in less time than I was hoping! Goal accomplished. A 75+ -year-old man helped me keep my pace and a 90-year-old man actually finished the race. It's the race to run if you want to feel young (but not necessarily fast).

The most difficult part of the race for me was the fact that it was outside and in the 40's. I run on a treadmill in the gym where it's more like a sauna. My little lungs were not prepared and I needed a lot more water than was offered to us along the way.

And later in the evening we made a nice big pile of leaves to jump into and throw around. Oh, how I love Fall.

6 comments:

amydear said...

Hey, you look like a tough runner in that photo. Congrats! I did a 5K a couple of weeks ago. Fun and short.

Queen Elizabeth said...

You are my hero.

rebecca said...

5K's might be my favorite length. I'm getting old:) Wayne used to work in the office building on North St. just off of I-95 & that lake right there is a popular one to run around. Good for you for getting out in the cold & racing...you look great!

Melanie said...

Way to go! My lungs burn just thinking of that cold air.

McCombs Family said...

You do look like a stud in that picture. That should be one to look at often and remind yourself that you ARE young. We are at moms in McGill and she is seeing the blogs. She just got fast internet last week so she will now be able to see our blogs. Im going to get her all set up and who knows...maybe she could even be leaving comments by the weekend (ha ha)

Sweeney Household said...

Brian caught that shot of me walking with Megan before the race - It's the Nike/Saucony/Speedo/Under Armour "Stud" look. I think I look a little mean. ;)

Yippee for mom online with faster speeds. Teach her all you can while you're there so we can have more access to her wisdom via blogs, etc.