Friday, December 3, 2010

The Kitchen Scale

The Kitchen Scale

‘Tis the Season!  Given that we just ate Thanksgiving dinner last week and that the holidays bring gingerbread men, sugar cookies, eggnog, peanut brittle, fudge, hot chocolate, and other high caloric goodies, I thought it was a good time to post my thoughts about weight.  Maybe not, but this little “essay” has been in the workings for a long time.
__________________________________
As an eleven-year-old I used to weigh myself daily.  Our scale was oddly positioned in the corner of our kitchen like a caution sign for overindulgence.  After my 6:30am workout each morning in our basement, I’d stop in the kitchen to weigh in.  In the 80’s, KBYU, a network out of Provo, UT, produced an amateur fitness show called, “Hooked on Aerobics.”  Limited to four channels, this was my choice of free exercise.  Three women each did aerobics on one of three platforms.   The platforms measured about three feet in diameter.  Each platform was designated High, Medium, or Low, indicating the intensity of the workout.  The woman on the lowest level looked a bit ridiculous because she barely moved her body.  She often used props, like a chair, to assist her.  On the other hand, the woman doing high impact aerobics jumped up and down with boundless energy.  (I wonder if she now has shin splints, knee problems, or plantar fasciitis.)  All three dressed modestly, in different colored leotards, tights, and “tennis shoes”.  I’d typically follow the “medium” lady, bouncing around on my carpet, while the women on television somehow managed to bounce around on their small platforms.  My motivation:  the scale. 

A recent phone conversation with my mom reminded me of my subsequent exercise regimen, after my stint with “Hooked on Aerobics.”  When my mom answered her phone she was noticeably out of breath.  “Did you run to get the phone?” I asked.  “You sound out of breath.”  “No,” she explained.  “I am running in place while I talk.  I figure that since I spend so much time on the phone I might as well get some exercise.”  I laughed.  I could almost feel the carpet under my feet as I pictured my mom and me running around our house almost twenty-five years ago.  The cream colored shag carpet, with specks of black and brown, was soft beneath our bare feet.  We’d run through the master bedroom, through the two connecting bathrooms, around the girls’ bedroom, down two flights of stairs, through the living room on the main floor, around the kitchen (passing the scale), making a tight loop around the dining room table and then back up the two flights of stairs to begin again.  It was another form of free exercise and we enjoyed doing it.  My mom lost a considerable amount of weight too.

I thought if I were thin, I’d like myself more.  My older sister Jody wore a size zero and she was a sophomore in high school.  I couldn’t even fit into her hand-me-downs.  It was glaringly obvious that we were built differently, but through my underdeveloped sense of self, I felt inferior.  Kari and Jalynn, along with many of my friends, weighed less than 100 pounds.  I knew that I was fat and I wished I were skinny.   So my addiction began with the scale, my weight, and my appearance.  Society’s messages only reinforced these erroneous beliefs about my body.

All freshmen at BYU were required to take a course called Fitness for Life.   Students dubbed it “Fitness for Death,” mostly because everyone dreaded the one mile pre- and post-test run on the track in the Smith Field House.  However, the mile run didn’t weigh on me as much as the body fat measurements did.  All the students in my class were asked to wear gym clothes to class on a particular day.  I felt so nervous and self-conscious the day we had our fat measured.  I remembered being hydrostatically weighed in junior high school and discovered for the first time that my percentage of body fat was too high for my age and height.  I hoped that my results at eighteen would be different.  There I was in a room full of over sixty freshmen, both male and female, face to face with my insecurities.  I was so embarrassed when some random male P.E. major approached me with his fat caliper.  He pinched the flesh on my upper arm and then on my thigh.  The worst was my waist.  My embarrassment changed to utter humiliation when the complete stranger informed me that my body fat percentage placed me in the overweight category.  He told me that I would be on a weight control program during the semester.   His words stung.  This special “weight control program” consisted of dietary restrictions and separate “weight-control” exams, different from the healthier students.  I tried to approach this with humor, but inside I was devastated.  I had exercised since I was eleven years old.  What was my problem?

BYU had a testing center, a separate building where students took all of their exams.  It was basically a building full of anxious and stressed-out students.  Testing “police officers” wore bright orange traffic patrol-like vests and paced up and down the aisles to watch for cheaters.  There were often long lines of students waiting to show their student IDs and request a specific test.   Each time I took a test for Fitness for Life I was so uncomfortable.  I didn’t want the people around me to hear me ask for the weight control version of the test.  My heart beat faster as I approached the desk.  Guarded, I asked the young male student behind the counter for the weight control test for Fitness for Life.  I pretended not to care that he knew I was fat too.

Last year I postponed my annual physical because I really didn’t want to get on the scale.  My fixation with the scale has outlasted my teen years and accompanied me into adulthood.  After having two children, I have been as critical of myself as I was during college.  I don’t find solace in statements like, “The number on the scale doesn’t matter.  What matters is how you feel.”  Or “Don’t pay attention to the size of your jeans.  Buy what fits you and what looks flattering on you.”  Anyone who has ever had a weight problem knows what I mean.  I longed to get on the scale and see magical numbers.  I dreamed of trying on jeans at the mall and fitting into a super small size.  

I still exercise.  You could say that I’m hooked.  I actually enjoy running and spinning at the gym and thrive off of the endorphins and other physical benefits it provides.  But I still hear the nagging voices in my head that constantly remind me that I’m fat, that I don’t measure up, that if I lose twenty pounds I’ll like myself better.  My 40th birthday comes in 2011.  I’d like to end this obsession.  This personal essay on weight has been in the draft form for years in my mind, for over a year on paper, and it’s still not finished.   

___________________________________

6 comments:

ellen said...

A few comments:

1. One of my friends wrote the music for Hooked on Aerobics!

2. My brother John was told he had the least amount of body fat ever. We hate him. :)

3. My Fitness for Life program was WALK up to the Provo Temple and RUN down. L-A-M-E.

4. Great essay. I love that you are so honest.

Angi said...

My favorite moves from Hooked on Aerobics: the "grasshopper" and the "pony"...and yes I can demonstrate on command.

Bunny said...

I love your honest essay. Thanks for sharing your feeings.
My kids and I miss seeing you in Primary each Sunday.

Queen Elizabeth said...

I see pictures of myself in the past and think "Wow, I look pretty good" but I can bet you $100 I hated my body THEN also. I just want to feel good mentally and physically and know I'm doing my best and LOVE MYSELF. Why is it so bloody hard?

...now pass me a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie, please! ;)

Wendster said...

Want my HONEST opinion? Some of the hottest women I know are at LEAST 40 lbs overweight ... it's their ATTITUDE that their boyfriends/husbands love. They just have that "sexy" thing going for them. My advice would be to just let go girl! Your husband is CRAZIER than CRAZY about you. You are beautiful. You are intelligent. You are fun. Just enjoy how fabulous you are amd STRUT THAT STUFF!!!
And that is my official advice. lol. for what it is worth.
I lost 50 lbs. and the guys I date are asking me to put some of it back on. Men like curves. Yup.

Jody said...

Hi Jeni -

OK, so first off, I haven't been on anyone's blog for like the whole month of December, so hence the reason I just read this post. AND, LOVED every word of it...

2nd, I RELISH talking with you - that was so fun to talk today! Thanks for calling on my B-day (twice!). You are AWESOME. (Where's my two dollars?) Ha Ha...

3rd, So...I can't believe I was ever a size 0, I was actually a "double ot" is what 5-7-9 called it because I couldn't fit into the 0, I was a double 0. I hated being that size was hard to find and only one shop carried them & they were pricey!

Tonight, being my birthday, we ran into ROSS Dress-4-less and tried to pick up a pair of pants - all of mine are too old and a bit too tight. As I couldn't find any in the Junior size 11 that looked work appropriate, I went over to the Women's section. After trying on 3 size 10's and not liking how they hugged, I said to myself that there was no way I would buy a size 12. Then I had to seriously laugh out loud at myself so I wouldn't cry when my dear husband said "Aren't you a size 0 honey?" He was dead serious! He was even looking in that section, REALLY? How hilarious was that??

Then at dinner at Chili's an hour later, he said when we were done, "Wow, you ate a lot". I did get a bit defensive, until he looked at me with sorrow in his eyes and said, "I just didn't know you were that hungry." He didn't mean it rude, but I was feeling guilty for being a Health & Wellness Coach who teaches people day in and day out how to overcome Obesity (I hate the "O" word) and then eating like there was no tomorrow since the middle of December. So, we all struggle with our weight, no matter what size.

The bottom line is: I felt "too skinny" at size 00 and now "too fat" at size 10. I like your friend Wendy that said, "Men like curves" - she is sooo right. So do I. Plus, "Fit and Fat" is the new "Skinny" just so you know =) You exercise, you feel good, you are brilliant, you are a great mom and wife and sister, so throw that scale (if you have one) O-U-T!!

Much Love, your older sister who never knew your thoughts on the scale, but loves you no matter what size or weight you are!!

(PS Adam is waiting for the computer and just said, "Mom, she is going to hate you for writing so much, she is going to block you from her blog, please stop." HA HA)