Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Hair Elastic & a Hair Survey

Today I left my hair down to take Conor to school.  (I need a hair cut like there's no tomorrow, by the way.  I am definitely holding onto the 70's hippie look and the 80's style, minus the big bangs.)  I typically go to Conor's school with my hair pulled back, ready to head to the gym afterward.  It's also a good excuse to not have to get up early and take a shower.  I thought maybe I'd look a little more "put-together" this morning with my hair down.  Many women show up at the school all dressed up, make-up applied, and ready for the day.  That's just not my style.

As I got ready to leave for the gym this morning, and to drop Megan off for school, I remembered that I'd definitely need a hair elastic for running.  I grabbed one and stuck it in my coat pocket.  But, when I got my keys out of my pocket there was no hair elastic.  I spent at least 5 minutes scouring my backpack for an extra one.  Then I searched my car.  All I could find was a rubber elastic.  I hear those are really bad for your hair.  But I was desperate.  Cringing, I put the elastic in my hair.

Everything worked out fine.  I'm sure my hair isn't any more damaged than my last highlighting session did.  When I left the gym and got into my car, there was the hair elastic on the car mat near the gas pedal.  Funny.  It got me thinking (more) about my dilemma of what on earth to do with my hair!

So, this is the Survey Part of the post...

Clearly, I need a hair cut.  My highlights have grown out past my ears and my hair is, let's face it, naturally dirty blond.  Lately it is more dirty than blond.

What do you, my loyal blog fans, vote that I do with my hair?  I know that my following is small, but those of you who read my blog regularly do know me quite well.  98% of the time my hair is pulled back in a pony tail or a little bun-type blob on the back of my head.  I have a lot of hair, but it is thin and tends to be oily.  I am not against cutting it short (my parents would shout with joy) but I do like to be able to pull it off my face for exercising and sleeping.  I have had shoulder-length hair or longer for at least the past 20 years.  I've cut it short maybe twice in my life and began growing it out right away.

ANY SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS for my "Hair Survey" are welcome and appreciated!


Hesitantly, I am including some shots of my hair, which I may remove after a few days.  ;) 

(you can see my ponytail "line")



16 comments:

J S and S said...

Go online or pick some hair magazines to find a look you like. Make sure the face shape of the model is the same as you. Then tell the stylist you want something easy to care for. They can layer it or razer cut it a bit so you don't have to do as much. I say cut it short, but not too short... Last time I cut my hair it was too short to pull back and it drove me nuts. (I'm sure Jody, Mom & Bob will say cut it VERY short :)...) I need a hair cut too. If we lived closer to each other we could cut it together! As for the getting ready before dropping Conor off for school... Who cares! I'm sure Conor is just glad you are there to drop him off. That is really the important part ;)

Cami said...

I think your hair always looks nice. Having recently whacked my own hair beyond pony tail length, I can testify that I go crazy when I play sports or run. Nothing beats a ponytail for getting it out of your face. So I would vote for shoulder length or longer. If you're looking for a change, maybe you could experiment with a sassy shade of red?!? :)

amydear said...

I need to see a very current (like today) picture to give you my opinion. But RED sounds like fun!

Queen Elizabeth said...

I feel your pain. I have a hair appt. Sat and want to shave my head - with the static and YUCK. But I think you should get maybe 3 or 4 inches cut off (I'm going from the last time I saw you which was WAY too long ago) and some long layers...so you can still pull it back. I think you'll feel like a new woman. But definitely check out photos online, etc. Keep us posted! ;)

Large Marge said...

Are you going to hate it if I tell you I was just admiring your hair the other Sunday at church? It always looks so clean and shiny and healthy. I distinctly remember thinking, "If my hair would look like that when it's long, I would grow it back out." In other words, I would love to have your head of hair.

ellen said...

If you like pony tails, don't cut your hair! :)

Jody said...

Hi Jeni!

I LOVE that you had a survey and sent an email to have us check it out! I happen to log on your blog last Sunday and wrote a loooooonnng comment about your "scale" post. Adam told me it was too long and that you would block me as a poster if I tried to post it. When I did...it said some weird thing about URL and booted me from your blog. We laughed and laughed. Guess I was saying something I shouldn't. OK, long winded ME says: Pony tail length and add bangs. I love bangs. Plus get someone to color it with some "low lights" and it will brighten your dirty blond unless you dare go chestnut brown - I think that would work with your skin tone. Don't cut it short. There are only a few face shapes that work with that cut =) You all thought I would vote short, huh? Short is NOT for everyone, plus it's dang expensive =) LOVE YOU!! Good luck. Let's see some "Before and After" pics. Hi CONOR and Hi MEGAN...I miss you guys ----

Sweeney Household said...

Thank you all for your comments. I promise that I wasn't begging for compliments! (Does this dress make me look fat?! he he he) I just wanted some honest opinions, so thank you for giving yours. I even got some emails about it.

I'll let you know what I end up doing.......

Meg said...

If you haven't cut your hair already...
I too wore my hair in a pony tail pretty much every day since always (if I ever curled it or something for work all my kindergarteners took notice and commented that I looked "pretty" that day - haha) but I just never had the time (or mostly the patience) to do my long hair. So I recently chopped it - I told my stylist I needed a good low maintenance cut - she layered it in the back and kept the front pieces near my face longer so I can fit it all in a ponytail still (barely, but doable) and it's much easier now - I got one of those ion hair roll brush dryers and it takes under 10 minutes - which still feels long compared to the 10 seconds it took to put it in a ponytail - but I like it, a good change. (And I think you should dye it dark brown too!) Good luck and I can't wait to see the after shots!

McCombs Family said...

Jen- I wish I could go with you and get your haircut. Sounds like fun. I am currently growing my hair out for Brian and I long for the day I cut it again. As for you, I really really really suggest a long A-line (slightly longer in the front) Make sure to tell your hair dresser that you want to be able to pull it back. Then, I say you dye your hair to golden brown. I think you would love the change. Dont go any shorter than your shoulders though. I seriously didnt know your hair was sooooo long!!! Another idea is to have your hairdresser cut in some gorgeous layers (no bangs, sorry Jody) I love you sis. Cant wait to see what you do. Post post post

J S and S said...

P.S. If you have 9 inches you want to cut off. Donate it! Locks of Love :) Someday I'll get around to mailing my pony tail and paperwork...

Unknown said...

I like it but if you are looking for a change I would go with Shoulder length. You can still put it in a pony tail but you would have a diffrent look.

Does that help??? Probably not but if you can think of any tips for my hair feel free to let me know. I NEVER know what to do with my hair.

Love the survey.

Sweeney Household said...

I should take more surveys or maybe come up with a contest! It's so fun to see 10+ comments. ;)

I bought a groupon coupon for a haircut for 50% off the regular price. So, I'm one step closer to making a decision. I like the suggestion of going darker? I never entertained that idea before....

Wendster said...

You probably already have your haircut, lol, however, if you haven't, here is my input.
1. Does Brian have a preference?
2. The next time you see someone who is thrilled with their haircut, GO directly to their stylist. A good stylist will pick a great look for you.
3. Never never never never never NEVER go to a bargain place to get your hair done when you are considering a major hair style change. If I could afford it I'd go to a place that does the movie stars. lol. But that is waaayyy outta my budget.
For what it's worth I love your hairstyle. You justlook so frikkin' adorable in all of your photos.

Melanie said...

Is it too late to post? A Groupon haircut changed my life so I say go big or go home. Do something drastic because it will always grow back if you don't like it. I love short hair. I do head bands instead of pony tails. I'm excited to see what you do/or did.

Sweeney Household said...

Dear all of my helpful friends,
I have NOT cut my hair cut. True to my style, I am particularly slow to do things that don't require urgency. I totally appreciate all the input.

Just for the record, Brian LOVES long hair. But, Brian would love me all the same with whatever hair, even if I were bald. :)