Wednesday, February 23, 2011

27 Years

Dear Dad,

I can't believe that I haven't seen you for 27 years.  It doesn't seem that long ago that we went together to Daddy Daughter Night, that we went horseback riding, that we played basketball in the driveway in Bountiful, and that I watched you bravely walk through the mall on your crutches with only one leg.  I loved how you would offer your pinkie for me to hold.  It's funny how the littlest things are the most memorable. And I loved the stories you'd tell me at bedtime.  I remember one time I came to watch you play softball and I had to go to the bathroom so bad that I peed my pants right on the bleachers.  You didn't get mad at me -- maybe you didn't even know! 




This is the one and only picture I have of you and me in my possession (from my baptism day)!  I know there are plenty more, but I don't have them.  :(   I'm glad that you baptized me and confirmed me a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and that you and mom taught me the gospel.  Thanks for your example.  Thanks for being strict with me about Sabbath-day observance and going to church.  I remember you bearing your testimony and how much you loved to learn about Joseph Smith and the prophet Isaiah. Thank you for insisting that I respect you and mom.  I'm not sure which of your qualities I have, and which come from mom, but I like to think that I am passing some of you onto my kids.

Thanks for giving me 12 good years with you as my dad.

I miss you.

Love,

Jenifer

5 comments:

Queen Elizabeth said...

*sniff*sniff*

You are amazing.

ellen said...

What a beautiful letter.

Traci said...

Oh, wow! I miss your dad. I see that picture and it flings me back into the past. You are such an amazing woman, he would be so proud of you. I love reading your blog, seeing your family grow. You are a great example and inspiration. Have a super day coz
Traci

Ann-Marie said...

Conor looks a lot like you as a kid. What a lovely letter. It is simple and honest. I hope you shared it with Conor and Megan today.
Sending love and hugs.

Jody said...

Thanks Jeni - Made me cry. I was so consumed with my own self and health issues the 23rd that I really completely spaced it was his death anniversary. That's not like me, so guess I better get with it and go through my pics and send you yours. I know I have some. I will scan some in this weekend to send you. Then send you the originals. Love you so much. Thanks for your phone calls yesterday too =) I love hearing your voice!! Hope my voicemail to you mend sense. XOXOXOXOX JODY