Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Wearing My Button

This past school year I have become more aware of my civic duty.  I even attended a school committee meeting, along with other concerned parents, last month to voice our displeasure with the proposed budget cuts for next year.

So, as the day got closer for the Override Vote in Arlington, I decided to wear my "YES for Arlington" button.



Tuesday, June 7th

Megan walked with me to the polls early this afternoon.  As we walked down our street, I realized that I had forgotten to put on my button, so I ran back into the house and pinned it to my t-shirt.

When we got to the school,  I had this interchange with a few folks at the polls.....

older gentleman sitting at the table for Precinct 19:  "We need you to remove your pin please."


me:  "Oh ---- (surprised).  Sorry.  I didn't know.  [I took off the button.]
I thought this is what it was all about" ["this" meaning what voting is all about --- people having their own personal opinions and the freedom to express them.]


old lady next to me who was also voting SNAPPED:  "That's NOT what it's ALL ABOUT for ME!"


[I should have bitten my tongue.  But, I didn't.]


me: "Oh, I'm sure it's not.  I'm sure you could care less how big class sizes are for our children."


The 3 of us, along with others nearby, exchanged disgusted looks and I took Megan by the hand and voted.  


Now I know why NOT to wear a pin into an election booth!  


I had no idea there were rules about being more than 150 yards away from the polling location if you are wearing a button (or holding a sign).  It was an ignorant, but innocent, mistake.

I must admit that I'd love to be the one to tell that old lady, "THE OVERRIDE PASSED!"

3 comments:

Queen Elizabeth said...

You go girl!

Melanie said...

You go girl!

Jody said...

I LOVE YOU JENI -- I am proud to be your big sis. You are amazing =)