Saturday, July 16, 2011

July 4th & the Bagpipes

I admit....


  • ... that the bagpipes are not my favorite instrument.  They are really loud.  Their sound is distinct and regal at a wedding or a funeral, but after listening to them for awhile, they give me a headache.
  • ... that I think men look funny in kilts.  A kilt is not considered a dress or a skirt, but it seems like one to me.  According to The Heritage of Scotland website,  "The Scottish kilt is a very handsome and striking garment - useful for formal, sporting and everyday occasions."


BUT, when Brian decided to join the Boston Firefighter's Pipes and Drums Band about a year and a half ago, I supported him.  He faithfully goes to class each week and practices playing his chanter in the "man cave."  I am proud of him for his effort and determination.  He got his own bag pipes, with fancy firefighter engravings, and the kids and I learned new words like "sporran" and "flashes" and "glengarry."  Of course he also purchased his own kilt.  I still prefer Brian in a suit and tie, or in his firefighter uniform, but let's just say the jury is out.

He has marched at only a few events, one of which was on the 4th of July near Quincy.  We went as a family to watch him march.  And, we were all proud of him.  He will soon be "blowing his brains out" with the other pipers in the band!  For now he was marching in the front holding the axe.









________________________________________________________
After the parade we went to Castle Island to enjoy the beach!



On July 5th, after celebrating Independence Day, we left for Canada to enjoy some camping, swimming, parades, relaxing, and of course, some Pipes and Drums (and lots of men in kilts)!

Pictures coming soon.

2 comments:

amydear said...

Very cool! As long as he doesn't start wearing the kilt around the house on a regular basis, that is. : )

J S and S said...

Brian, I think you look very handsome in your kilt :) -JS&S