Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Rated "The Worst"

Have you ever felt like "The Worst" mom?  I know it isn't entirely true, but listen to this story and you just might give me your vote.


  • A few days ago Conor mentioned that he really needed a hair cut.  Last night he was complaining about it.  When it grows out about 1/4" long it drives him crazy, particularly at the nape.  You know, that little point on the back of the neck?  For some reason his gets especially thick and it always bothers him.  He was begging me to just cut it off.  I got my scissors out and snipped it off.  But then it was just so tempting to try to cut the rest of his hair.  It's super coarse and the sound of the hair being cut was kind of cool.  I cut a few more pieces, but then I cut kind of close to his scalp and there was a bald spot.  Now, in case you don't know Conor very well, he is ultra-sensitive.  I wanted so badly to go back in time and refuse to cut his hair.  Calmly I told him to get into the shower and I would try to fix it some more.  Of course when it was wet it didn't look quite as bad so I continued to cut sections up to the top of his head.  By the time I was done with it, he seriously looked like he was attacked in the night by a dog with some hair clippers.  If I could have taken a picture, I'd show you.  When he woke up, he forgot about it, but I asked Brian if he had seen Conor's hair yet and Conor ran up and got into his bed and refused to go to school.  I really couldn't blame him.  I bribed him to go.  He said if I paid him $2.00 he'd go.  Deal!  He also had a brilliant idea to wear a hooded shirt to school.  Amazingly no adults at school told him to take off his hood all day today.  In my planner I wrote, "HAIR EMERGENCY" at 2:10pm.  My face was as red as a tomato when I tried to explain to the barber (who is a woman) what I had done.  Conor is close to bald now, but he is happy.  And I won the prize for 2nd Worst Mom in the World.  I have no idea who took first, but I'm sure there is someone out there who has done worse things to their children.


And then, to top things off, Brian told me that he had to do something today that he has never had to do.  He got called in to work an overtime shift this morning.  He was looking for his sweatshirt that he wears as part of his fire uniform.  When he walked down into the basement, sure enough his loving wife had not done the laundry and it was unwashed lying on the dirty floor.   So, he scooped it up, took it to work, threw it in the washing machine and dryer at work and washed his own sweatshirt!  What a woman I am, huh?  At least he's resourceful.




6 comments:

ellen said...

That only cost you two bucks? And I'm shocked between naps BS had time to wash clothes. :)

J S and S said...

Oh man! I have the school pics to prove I gave Sikoti the best haircut ever! I tried to give him a buzz cut and at first you could see lines from the clippers. It was literally striped so then I fixed it and I cut all the hairs that frame your face & hairline so it was this perfect circle around his face. I'll email you a pic so you can show Conor I just might be #1 :) P.S. Brian, Even Sikoti & Sam do their own wash... ok just sometimes and they may or may not have gone without underwear to school once or twice... :)

Sweeney Household said...

in Brian's defense, he OFTEN does the laundry himself. But, considering he is working THREE jobs this winter (and every winter) and I am WORKING at home and completing a grad. course, we are both slackers! I try to pull my own weight when he is working so much.

J S and S said...

I only have one job (technically two... home & work) so I am a slacker too :)

Cami said...

Ha ha ha- I've taken some awful chunks out of Peter's hair. And then he had to go to work! Glad Conor is okay with (and can pull off)the cue ball look.

Elisabeth said...

Jen- you are so the opposite of the worst mom for both of those situations! This is funny. Don't feel bad, I cut my boys hair all the time and more than once I have cut them and made them bleed with the clippers! Drawing your kids blood during a haircut- now THAT is bad!!