Disaster Strikes my iMac and our photos.
I know that there are things in life that are far more important than my photos from our trip to Canada. BUT, to me photos are pretty cool. Actually they are priceless. And I spent a lot of time taking them so that I could post them on my blog, print some, enlarge some, share them with family, and look at them.
You see where I am headed. Somehow while working on posting my 2nd phase of our trip and making a collage in Picasa, I accidentally uploaded/transferred? all of my photos from the trip from iPhoto into Picasa, and then Picasa crashed. Honestly I'm not sure what I did, but I inadvertently put some photos into the trash, assuming they were duplicates. I'll spare you any more gloomy details, but many of our Canada pictures are GONE. Erased from the hard drive. And in my ignorance I didn't have my "Time Machine" feature on. To make matters worse, my external hard drive was plugged in but wasn't programmed to back up regularly. My last back up was in April.
No technical suggestions are necessary. I've spent some quality time with some folks from apple so I am 99% sure that they are gone. Luckily we have some photos that we've emailed (smaller images) and some that we saved to the desktop, and a few that made it into Picasa. But a lot are gone. We can see the thumbnails as a sad reminder, and that's it.
Sympathy is welcome.
I couldn't even sleep last night while thinking about it. There are certainly bigger problems in life, but I am pretty bummed out about this one.
I was pretty sure that I learned the importance of backing up files last year when our old computer ran out of virtual memory and I solicited help from friends. Lesson learned now. I'm trying to come to terms with it by admitting my problem and posting it here.
Insert:
ps. There may be a slim chance that a data recovery software could recover my pictures from my camera card. Maybe I ought to take a computer class.
3 comments:
Not only do I feel bad for you but I can empathize. Our hard drive crashed and we lost EVERYTHING. The last time we backed up our photos was when we left Japan. The worst part is that the Apple Store was working on our computer to fix something else and they were the ones who damaged our hard drive so it wasn't even our fault. I cried and cried. Journal entries are gone. Tons of stuff from my mom's last months are gone. My kids journals and birth stories are gone. The list goes on from there. We had the computer sent to some forensic place and paid $1,000 to get our photos back but no documents. I'll stop venting now.
Okay, after reading your story I feel like it could have been so much worse. Reading that you lost all of your journal entries almost made me cry! And, $1,000. is a pretty penny, but I'm so glad you got your photos back. SAD, SAD, SAD. I do appreciate your sympathy. I would have been so angry at Apple for being at fault. I can just be mad at myself every time I look at the little thumb nail photos. :(
Today I bought an external hard drive. My existing one never backed up anything because.... (new development) .... I didn't even realize that it was formatted for a PC. (It's embarrassing/hard to admit how much I don't know about computers!)
Picasa no likey my computer anymore. Don't know what the deal is. I keep hoping it will come back but no luck yet. I'm sure I've lost some good stuff. In other news, our computer won't start at all and I have to hit the apple store tomorrow because Brad we ELEVEN minutes late for the appt on Friday night and they wouldn't take him :(
Post a Comment