Sunday, October 21, 2012

Home

As I approached SLC two weeks ago, I looked out the window of the plane at the Wasatch Mountains, and I got all teary-eyed.  My emotions surprised me.  I was born in CT and moved to UT when I was five.  I left UT when I was almost 25.  I've lived in MA for over 16 years now so it is certainly fair to claim it as my home.  This time, however, going to UT felt like going home to me.  

My very first friend that I made shortly after our family moved to Bountiful, UT was my friend Kari.  In the small pages of my diary from 1976, day after day I wrote, "Today I played with Kari.  It was fun."  Since those childhood days we haven't spent a considerable amount of time together.  But, it's a thrill when we have the chance to reminisce about growing up as neighbors, going to school together, and sharing our parallel and varied experiences.  She took me on a beautiful hike and we talked non-stop.   I echo that short description of those repetitive entries in my diary from 1976 on this day in 2012.  "Today I played with Kari.  It was fun."







****************************************

2 comments:

ellen said...

I only went to school in Utah but there something about it feeling like "home".

J S and S said...

My vote is you move home to Utah! :)