Saturday, February 23, 2008

Just a SECOND...

Have you ever wondered why children have trouble grasping the concept of time? Kids ask what yesterday and tomorrow is, how long church is, how long until their next birthday, and my personal favorite is when Conor says, "I haven't watched this show for years!"

Of course understanding time is a developmental task. I would argue that adults help to delay this developmental milestone. Today I heard Megan yelling, "Mommyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" over and over, with an emphasis on the "eeee" sound. I kept telling her, "Just a second!" "Just a minute Megan. I'll be right there!" I was putting away some clothes. Then I saw a few other random chores to be done so I did those too. All the while Miss Megan is yelling for me. A lot of time passed under the guise of the word "second" or "minute." That's not a fair definition. No wonder my kids spend a lot of time yelling for me. They never know if I'll come tomorrow, next week, or yesterday!??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjooy your thoughtful posts, Jen

McCombs Family said...

Brian said to me, "I never knew your sister was such a philosopher." I laughed and said...my sister is amazing. She really should be a writer. Your thoughts are so funny and they really make my day to day encounters more interesting. I relate!!!!!