Saturday, February 23, 2008

Shakespeare....and Mercedes

The Rape of Lucrece
Stanza 31
*********

What win I, if I gain the thing I seek?
A dream, a breath, a froth of fleeting joy?
Who buys a minute's mirth to wail a week?
Or sells eternity to get a toy?
For one sweet grape, who would the vine destroy?
Or what fond beggar, but to touch the crown,
Would with the sceptre straight be stricken down?

When I was in Junior High (7th or 8th grade?), we had an assembly where a man (who I know but didn't actually live by these words) helped us memorize this stanza from Shakespeare's Rape of Lucrece. It has been my motto since then. I can still recite it anytime (along with all the counties of the state of UT. "Beaver, Carbon, Davis, Morgan, Garfield, Cache, Piute, Cane......").

I try to delay immediate pleasures for more lasting happiness. I love Mercedes Benz. Ever since I was about 5, I thought they were the prettiest cars. When I was old enough to realize how much they cost I applied Shakespeare's wisdom to my desire to have a Mercedes. "What win I if I gain the thing I seek?" I can't look at a Mercedes without thinking of the Rape of Lucrece. Sometimes I find myself wishing for things that seem so important... (house renovations, nice "stuff", a good haircut, ability to travel more often and to far away places, etc. etc.). Some of my desires are important and worth more than the cash used to purchase them. But for the most part, I am content. This whole theme relates to gratitude and learning how to recognize blessings.

Philip. 4: 11
11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

5 comments:

Wendster said...

Cool quote!

It reminds me of a similar lesson I learned when someone flipped my complaint around for me: "This person did this unkind/terrible thing and I have paid unreasonable consequences for their actions."

What's the flip side? How did I BENEFIT from their "wrong doing"? (I became stronger, independent, more educated.)

I'm a firm believe that the "bad" things people do "to us" actually benefit us MORE than the "good" things people do.

Looking at it this way made me feel more gratitude for ALL of my life experiences.

Like that line in the quote: What would I gain if I got what I asked for? I gain more from what Heavenly Father has chosen to send my way than when I receive what I ask for.

You really make me think, Jen. I like that about you. Thanks for posting that quote.

Wendster said...

I promise ... next time I comment it will be SHORT.

Amy said...

Jen!!! I had to memorize that same thing in 7th grade for a health class. It does have a great well of meaning. Great thoughts...

-Amy

Queen Elizabeth said...

I swear we had the same person come to our school (I think his name was Hyrum Smith - how's THAT for a Utah name?). Too funny. I feel that way about Audis. Ahhh... someday!

Watauga Relief Society said...

"What win I if I gain the thing I seek?"

I love it!