A quick "essay" on some of the unattended things in my life......
1. My pile of papers on Brian's desk. It keeps growing and growing and taking over the desk. In fact, if our blinds are up, you can see some papers in a little black crate from the front window. Yesterday I spent some time organizing those papers into tidy little labeled folders.
2. Our children were left unattended yesterday while I was on the phone. (Uh OH!) Usually when I leave them alone they end up fighting over something. They are typically able to also make up and begin playing again. We were using a new (hand-me-down) Clifford Learning CD-ROM. Since they were having so much fun I left them at the computer. Later in the evening I also left Little Miss Cutie Pie with a pen and paper at the desk to draw. I don't know WHO DID IT....... One of our sweet children used a sharp object on the computer screen. There are now 6 small circles (about 1/2 cm in diameter) right in the middle of the screen, with a straight line at the top of the screen.) Lesson: Don't trust a 4-year-old or a 2-year-old with your hardware.
3. I haven't been giving myself enough sleep time. HA! You laugh --- what person, over the age of 18, does get enough sleep? I've written about sleep before. This lack of sleep often contributes to me being ornery with my fellow "Inn-Mates" and lacking patience with them. Also, it makes me do crazy things like allow my children to sleep with me. Or sometimes I end up in their beds. (The bunk beds were supposed to solve all our problems!?) This morning, after staying up way too late organizing my sticker collection, and waking up at least 4 times from my kids, I reached up to straighten a cereal box. I wasn't even going to eat the grape nuts. I just wanted to pull the box forward. It was on a high shelf so I jumped up a little to try to grab it. Needless to say, the box came flying at me and the corner of it landed right on my cheek. It was bleeding and it really hurt. I applied pressure. I wondered if it needed a stitch. Conor put a Hotwheels Blue Bandaid on it so I'm sure I'll be fine!
How was your day? Did you leave anything unattended?
6 comments:
Story of my life. Right now both of the munchkins are eating yogurt, and I just know it's going to be everywhere by the time I go check, but sometimes I just need to be "off-duty" for a few moments.
I see my neighbors on the street, and they keep saying "they grow up so fast," and some days I think "Hallelujah!"
In Sam's room, on an antique dresser (I hope Mom & Bob aren’t reading this...) is "Samuel" scratched in the wood, 3 times! He was so proud of his great handwriting… how could I be mad :) We have also found Sam on many other items around the house. I think boys like to “mark their territory” :) Luv u! JS&S
Our hand me down big screen TV has similar marks of "unknown provenance and origin". And how many times has Tristan decorated my walls with pencils or makers? Or the drawers with lipstick? (Breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth ... returning to calmness. Man I loved that new lipstick!).
And here's the one that will knock your socks off and I hesitate to even share: the police came to RETURN OUR CHILD TO US! We both thought he was with the other parent. I thought he was with Lee (they were in the front room together when I went upstairs) and Lee thought he was playing in the (houdini proof) backyard, but the lawn guys had been and left the GATE OPEN ... Tristan saw our dog go running out so he went out to catch her and crossed the street!!! Holy cow!!! You have to know that I felt like the WORST parent EVER. And the looks I got from the neighbors as the police officer led me down the block and across the street to get him. And the horrible dread I felt as I had to stand there and listen as they told me they were calling CPS on me. Expect their visit some time this week. GEESH. (CPS was very understanding. They closed the case the moment they stopped by the house and spoke to me.) Thank heavens he was OK, though. It was one of those "I thought you were watching him" moments. Man. Scary. I notice neighbors all don Captain Obvious capes when you do something stupid: "You shouldn't let a three year old outside alone." "He could have been hit." "Babies don't know how to cross streets safely." All said in that condescending helpful tone. Thank you. I think I knew that. Thanks for your help.
Bet your not feeling so unattentive now, huh?
But now I'm feeling like a terrible mother all over again.
At least I've had a really good record since then! The lawn guys' butts are a little sore, though.
Let's talk about something I can already laugh about in your next blog. ha! This one still smarts.
p.s. Sorry that was so long. It didn't look so big when I could only see tiny parts of it in this little box. ha.
OK, I love your blog! You are so creative--Edmund Inn. I will be adding your blog to my list, we need to reconnect soon.
Jen oh jen-
I exersize during the day while Mr. TV watches my kids. And of course I shower afterward. EVERY time I turn off the shower I wait for about 6 seconds in silence listening to what my kids are doing. Some days I hear crying and I think...crap. Some days I hear nothing and I think...crap. Yet every day I think "you know you shouldnt leave them unattended for so long.
But I do!
Brian and I laughed and laughed at your post as well as your funny friends experiences. Your friend and her messy yogurt is hilarious. I sit and update my blog and let Simon feed himself yogurt. Bad idea.
Post a Comment