Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A Chameleon

My ramblings for the day........................... (Always feel free to skim):

I try very hard to be a fun mom and provide engaging activities for my kiddos. This morning we began with the usual fight of getting dressed, turning the shows off, and getting out the door. I had decided to take them to the Science Museum. We haven't been in ages and Judy told us they have a snakes and lizards exhibit. I figured the kids would love it. After packing the bags, making lunch, ensuring that we have the necessary money, passes, etc. etc. we made it into the car by just after 10am. It poured rain this morning, but I was still planning to park at the Cambridge Side Galleria to save money. It stopped raining and was quite warm when we got there. We had a nice long walk over to the museum and the kids loved being outside. I questioned if we should even go inside -- when outside was pretty entertaining. The museum was busy with kids from various schools, etc. We had a good time in the kids area, walking up and down the musical stairs, and Conor was interviewed by an MIT student doing research.

However, it is always such a struggle for me to get both of my children to walk in the same direction, at the same time, at the same pace, and to listen to me!!!!! I felt like the entire time I was saying, "Wait Conor. We need to let Megan catch up!" Or, "Wait Megan. Conor is looking at _______. Let's let him catch up." I feel so paranoid to lose sight of my kids these days so I am constantly saying their names and giving directions. We stopped and ate our tuna sandwiches, apple sauce, fruit leather, pretzels, water, milk, and I gave them a few Hershey's kisses. Then we looked at the lizards and snakes. I could tell Megan was beat, but the kids loved it. The Chameleon was especially cool. He/she was turquoise and yellow and I stared at his eyes for awhile because they were amazing. They didn't move simultaneously, and I read on the little plaque that chameleons have eyes shaped to give them a panoramic view of everything around. Megan spent about ten minutes pushing a button that made the sound of a particularly large lizard, who was resting in water. It was well worth our trip.

We headed to the park area where the kids went on the swings, the teeter totter, and raced to see if they were faster than the yellow lights moving along the wall. I told Conor that we had to make this the last spot and head to our car. But he had to go potty. So, after a tantrum from Megan (who wanted to stay in the red swing) we went to the bathroom. Conor went potty, I changed Megan, and I didn't get to go! Why is it that moms are forced NOT to use the restroom? It is because we can't TIE UP OUR CHILDREN while WE go to the bathroom ---- for fear they will A. Run out of the bathroom while we are defenseless B. Open the bathroom door to show others our full figures C. Sit down or lay down on the nasty bathroom floor while we are going potty. There are more reasons I'm sure. I held "it" for over 4 hours instead! What great love I have for my kids, huh? ;) So, at this point I am SO DONE with the museum. I knew that the walk to the car would be torture. The kids surprisingly had lots of energy, but it was me who was emotionally drained. I was snipping at them and felt close to violent if/when they didn't listen to me. Megan was really getting on my nerves because she (no fault of her own) is 2 and she doesn't comprehend how fast the cars go down Memorial Drive!!! I kept telling her to hold my hand and she would say, "I do it!" We made it to the car, after stopping to see the ducks, which tacked on $1.00 to our parking fee. In the parking garage we handed over a mere $7.00 for parking, compared to the $13.25 that we would have paid to park in the MOS itself. Aren't I a good mom? I save $$ for the family. I almost kill my kids, but I saved $6.25!!!!! he he he he.....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... I tried to take deep breaths on the way home. Now that I am safely in my house, at my computer, my kids are sleeping soundly, can I just say that I relate to my friend the chameleon?!! I can change colors and blend into anything that my children or my husband or my friends need in the moment. I am not sure if I have a well-defined personality of my own because I am constantly changing to meet their needs. I can also change from being a nice mommy to a mean one rather quickly. I only wish that I had that eyesight thing ----- panoramic view of the world --- because then I wouldn't yell at my kids. I could see them around corners, and when they'd run ahead, I'd feel safe.

Teacher's Note:

Read The Mixed-Up Chameleon by Eric Carle (if you haven't already). It's fantastic. The back cover says, "Chameleon wishes it could be like all the animals in the zoo. The wish comes true. Chameleon becomes like all of them at once. What a mix up! Chameleon's funny new look will make you laugh."

9 comments:

M & S said...

Great book recommendation, we will check it out. I love your inspiring thoughts and insight. Today was a long day with Miss K, its nice to find comfort in your words.

Queen Elizabeth said...

Girl if that behavior of yours makes you a chameleon, then I'll meet you in the lizard cage!!!

Frozen Cacti said...

We are going to the MOS this Saturday. Thanks for the idea of where to park. We will definately be sure to check out the lizards!

Cami said...

Sometimes I think these sorts of outings are good just for the fact that they help you appreciate quiet mornings at home. But it sounds like you actually squeezed some fun in, too. I was laughing pretty hard by the time I read the "why moms are forced not to use the restroom." Spot on!

Wendster said...

You are a great Mom ... but to me, your most amazing feat of the day was holding it for FOUR hours! What!?!?

(you could wear Megan piggy back style in the small stall. The big stall gives them too much room to escape!) (Or Conor ... whichever one is more likely to run away)

But I don't think you could wear them both. Lol.

ellen said...

I guess you aren't familiar with this: http://www.googababy.com/2006/11/22/the-hang-your-kid-on-the-bathroom-door-while-you-pee-invention/

J S and S said...

I just can't get enough of your blog :) I was in my least favorite store (W*#@t) last night and they actually had a little seat on the wall for kids to be strapped into while you use the toilet! It was like a car seat bolted to the wall. CRAZY! That would have come in handy today. Except they may need to fit the bathroom with multiple chairs :)

J S and S said...

P.S. Sam told his teacher that we are going to Boston for spring break:) I guess we need to plan a trip out there. Someday... we should have our next reunion somewhere out there!! JS&S :)

McCombs Family said...

Oh the joys of being mother. Your life is so much like mine. I was whining to our mom this very night because I do nothing with my kids and they are so bored they resort to beating each other up for giggles. Maybe I should be a better mom like you and take them on an adventure.
PS-Oh yeah I forgot we have been staying home to avoid the freaky germs that we get whenever we venture. There is a nasty flu going around lots of our close aquaintences and I am scared of it. But we still need an adventure...I do.