Monday, April 28, 2008

CHICAGO BLUES


DAP Dry-Dex Spackle is my Spackle of Choice (do I sound like a professional?). It's pink when you apply it and when it's dry, it turns white. You know you can sand/paint after it's white. Benjamin Moore Paint is also my favorite. I tried their new Aura paint, which is supposed to be great. (Can you see the splattering of blue on the door? I dropped the paint can! It was a nightmare. Luckily I saved most of it by making the newspaper sheet into a funnel and pouring it back into the can. Blue money $$ floating across the kitchen floor, seeping under the door to the cellar, and sprinkling my clothes and the door! Maybe it was punishment for painting on the Sabbath..... ;) I doubt it, but it sounds like a nice guilt trip.)


HERE IT IS!!! Chicago Blues (Benjamin Moore #804) on the wall. Please give your honest feedback! I think it's a great color. It's a dark color to use on such a small space, but I think I like it...... Because there are a lot of openings (5) in the kitchen, there is also a lot of trim (white). I figure it will be a good contrast. The pantry color is still to be determined. Colorful cousin --- any suggestions? Mommy?


And, you can see the pantry on the left is in process (as I mentioned before). While I was priming the other night, I thought I would try painting the tiles. I read that you should use oil-based primer (stinky!) so I did it! Don't mind the mess. I have no shame when I take photos of our house.
Lest you think I have completely neglected our children, we just got back from the Children's Museum in Boston. I thought it would be a quiet day there, since the kids' April Vacation just ended. WRONG! It rained today and the whole world was there. We had a great time in spite of the crowds. I took photos with my cell phone because I forgot the camera. Oh well....

11 comments:

ellen said...

I love the blue. It's my second favorite color after red, of course.

rebecca said...

Jen, the blue is really nice! I'd do something neutral in the pantry, but darker than white so white shelves and trim will contrast.
I just might pick up a paint brush again after reading this post and seeing your fun kitchen evolve.

Sherene said...

What a great shade of blue, let me know if you would like so help. I love painting.

Unknown said...

I love that color!

Benjamin Moore has some great colors to choose from too. That is what I have in my house!

Queen Elizabeth said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the blue!!! (I'm re-painting the old office/future girls' room before they move in and keep thinking of you...) Good work girl!

Wendster said...

That was SO lucky that you had newspaper on the floor so you could save your paint. Good job! When I re-did the bathroom ... I didn't. Can of paint fell FROM THE LADDER. Nuff said ... I'm sure you are getting a visual. LOL. (and yes the door to the carpeted hall way was OPEN.)
I like the blue with the white window trim VERY much.
Now comes the awful part of scraping the glass to get off those tiny bits of paint to make it look perfect ... I so hate that part.
And thanks for sharing the spackle preference. Pink that turns white? I'm so getting that next time.
Good work!
p.s. I could go either way. The whole kitchen that beautiful blue, or just one wall with the rest of it more neutral. I'm leaning towards the whole kitchen being blue, myself, with the pantry a different color cuz it seems like it's own room. Left of the sink: BLUE, pantry/dish room? on the right, neutral.

Frozen Cacti said...

It's lookin' good! Ready for another get together?

Nikki said...

i LOVE it!

Watauga Relief Society said...

I SO need spackle right now! I'm on it, perfect choice. Who doesn't love pink spackle! btw, love the blue :) ... I agree with rebecca on the pantry

Melanie said...

I love the blue! You are so brave to take on such a messy job. I hate painting with all my heart.

gpa & gma said...

Jenifer...all you have to do is strobe to the before picture and you can see that it is beautiful. I am so proud of you and your blog with the slide show and all. Tell the kids hello and that I miss them very much.