Thursday, May 8, 2008

Can you paint a straight line?

Ever since I first learned to write, people have commented on my handwriting. I joke that my handwriting is my only talent. People always know when a gift is from me because of the writing on the card. When they open the card, they often think it is printed from a computer. Probably the most frequent comment I get is, "You should make your own font!" No matter what I write, a word, a sentence, a small note, or something huge on a poster, there is a guarantee that people will comment. (Even if I think it is sloppy.) Bragging? Not really ---- There are bigger and better things to brag about than handwriting!

Tonight, while cutting in blue paint (with the ceiling and the trim) in the kitchen, I was getting so frustrated because I could not for the life of me, PAINT A STRAIGHT LINE! There is something different about a paint brush. I tried to hold it different ways, concentrate harder, go faster, go slower, but I struggled with every stroke. Finally I figured out if I worked from right to left, holding the diagonal side of the paintbrush toward the right, I did best. I'm left-handed (another strange reason that I my handwriting is so good). Plus, one important key in making a straight edge is how much paint is on your brush. I tried using tape, but it wasn't always successful. And it took twice the time to tape the wall and then paint the wall! Oh my goodness is all I can say! Here are the updated photos of the kitchen. Don't ask me when this will be done.

In due time.........



4 comments:

J S and S said...

I really like the blue paint! A really nice, bright piece of art with a thick white frame or a cool plate would look good on one of the big walls spaces or a collage of photos of the kids in crisp, color with thick white frames. You could do something like up close shots of messy (but still cute) faces eating. I'm not looking forward to painting my kitchen... someday!

ellen said...

WOW! Your kitchen looks great!! And, guess what? People tell me my handwriting should be a font too. :)

Cami said...

That is so cool! I'm so inspired I might paint my bathroom (the smallest room in my house-and no, I can't paint a straight line to save my life). Way to be bold; I think it looks great!

Sweeney Household said...

thanks for the comments. they make me feel excited that i have taken on the kitchen! ellen, maybe good handwriting is an inherited trait from the pitchforth line. ;)