Wednesday, August 13, 2008

To the Trash Guys:


This morning I had a new respect for our "trash guys," as we have called them ever since Conor was a baby. What young boy isn't mesmerized by a strong guy tossing big black bags into the jaws of a huge green garbage truck?! The trash guys have been our friends. We always wave to them and give them a "bonus" for Christmas. They often let Conor or Megan toss something into the back of the truck too. But this morning I was amazed by the job they do and at how they do it --- day in and day out.



My morning began with Megan's stinky diaper. It was a super smelly one and kind of made me nauseous. I began gathering our trash (adding her diaper to the mix) because our trash guys have been arriving early on Wednesday mornings. When I went outside to grab the trash can (barrel, in Brian's vernacular), I about threw up even looking at the mess. Some creatures -- probably a raccoon -- had a compelling enough smell for them to somehow get the lid off the trash can and rummage through our "leftovers." I will spare you the details of the many bits and pieces of half-eaten items I discovered. I had to get a rubber glove for my left hand so I could stomach putting it all back into a trash bag. I was seriously having the gag reflex the whole time I was cleaning up after the rodents and for about an hour afterwards too. (Just for the record: I'm not pregnant!)

So, my dear friends the trash guys, you have a difficult job! Hats off!

5 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

amen!

amy said...

You're a good person- you give them a bonus? I need to start doing that.

McCombs Family said...

Jen- Our trash guys are the best. They take our trash even when we forget to move it down to the street. I know its because they see me in my huge pregnant glory with my two crazy kids yelling HI and I know they feel for me.

J S and S said...

Yuck! Sounds like "Over the Hedge"... I bet the animals were happy :) -JS&S

CMHill said...

What darling pics of your kids. You guys look like you have had a great summer!