Friday, January 23, 2009

Some days I really miss my dad. I wish that he had met my kids. I'm sure he knew/knows their spirits, but it's not the same as having him here now.
He would have loved to come visit us here in New England. Oh, what I would give to have him tell me stories, first-hand, of his experiences on his mission here (New England States Mission).
When I was a kid my dad used to make up the best stories, bedtime or otherwise. They were so clever and he always made them up on the spot. He was a creative guy. He'd issue us "tickets" or "citations" that he'd made when we didn't do our jobs, or if we talked back to my mom, or when we committed other household infractions. Similarly, he made allowance-type tickets for our good deeds. He'd send us sweet notes from Hong Kong, via a TELEX machine, when he was away on business. The TELEX machine was huge. It was in our laundry room and when a message was being printed on the yellow paper everyone came running to watch it type. He even wrote poetry for my mom. He called me "Peanut Butter" and my little sister "Jelly." He taught me how to make the best chocolate chip cookies and "Fisher Omlets". It's easy to remember his best qualities because he is gone. But, that's how it should be.
One year, shortly after deer hunting season, my dad had the venison from his deer made into salami. The long sticks of salami were stored in our garage to keep them cool. I was in charge of my 2 younger siblings one particular night and I accidentally left the side door in the garage open. The neighborhood dogs were thrilled with my mistake and came in and devoured much of the meat. You can imagine how my dad felt when he and my mom came home! They were both really disappointed and upset because of the expense of the accident. I went up to my room and cried because I felt really bad too. I came downstairs with all the money I had (which consisted of coins) and set it on the kitchen counter for my mom and dad with a handwritten apology. My parents hugged me and we never talked about it again. That's good parenting.
Some days I'd sure like to call my dad and ask him how to handle some of the things I struggle with as a parent. And, it would be so fun to hang out with him and Brian and our kids. I'd like to hear his testimony of God. I often wonder how he felt when he thought about leaving my mom and six kids behind.
Feb. 23, 1984. The day my dad died. I was making chocolate chip cookies for him when he slipped into a coma. The weather that day was much like it has been here lately. I can't believe it's been 25 years since I talked to him.
The age old question -- Would I change the past? No. I just miss him.


15 comments:

amydear said...

I'm so sorry you lost your father at such a young age. I loved reading about him. I'm sure he wishes he could see you and your beautiful family too. Kyle's dad died about 9 years ago. We've felt him close on a few occasions. What a tender post. Thanks.

J S and S said...

Don't you remember what Jeff said... about me... I actually really enjoyed your post! I thought I was making cookies... I just remember making one huge cookie with the rest of the dough. I was probably just tagging along with my cool older sister! Someday we need to write down all our memories and get his siblings to do the same. We talked about family history in HFPE! I was feeling guilty that we don't have much... maybe I'm a little charlie brown too... by the way Get your b@#% to church... it can't be that cold! -JS&S

Sweeney Household said...

Hey Julie - it wasn't JUST cold! All 3 of those Sundays there was a state of emergency declared because the snow plows, etc. had to clean the streets. It really is different out here than in ZION, where they are well-equipped to clear away huge amounts of snow. (Zion is really in our hearts & we had church in our hearts!!!!! he he he he) I know I was making cookies because I remember mom yelling down for me to come upstairs. Maybe that's when you took over.....

rebecca said...

love the parenting lesson. You never stop missing them, huh? Sometimes when I think of the 16 yrs since my mom died I am amazed at how much I deeply miss her....and would love those parenting chats! We WILL catch up, but you know that:):) warm wishes.

Queen Elizabeth said...

That's so touching, Jen. Well said.

J S and S said...

I just like giving you a hard time :) I love any excuse to get me a "church vacation" I usually miss church after a week or two though, something about getting spiritually recharged. I'm just glad our church is later in the day now. I'm not a morning gal. It is warming up here finally. Last night there was SO much fog. I was so scared driving! Love you! -JS&S

Swoopref said...

It never dawned on me before reading this post but I first started attending church very close to that Feb. day in 1984. We need to check Vivian C`s journal.

Melanie said...

25 years is a long time. It's amazing how life continues to move forward and the moments of sadness are less frequent. It is truly a miracle.

J S and S said...

See... my dad went up there and said "Brian get your butt to church you've got to marry my daughter someday!" I wonder who he is working on for me??? Just kidding! -Julie :)

McCombs Family said...

thankyou jen. I realize as i savor each tidbit of info about dad, that I would love to sit and listen to what you all know about him. I knew nothing of the tender every day dad that he was or even what he was like as a normal parent...I was too young. thanks sis.

micahl said...

So sweet....

Ashley said...

Thank you for sharing that--from a long lost cousin out West--I needed permission to just miss Scott today. A new baby, the superbowl, watching his kids grow up... I hope your dad is kicking Scott's butt for me right now... or just loving him.

I love you.

Janika said...

What a sweet post, Jen. I can see so much of your dad's features in your kids--especially Megan. This makes me think what little things my kids will remember about me someday. I hope I can make each moment count.

Jody said...

Did I never say anything about this? I love you so much for first, having a blog that you actually update, and second, for being such a terrific writer! I thought all day long on 2/23/09 that there is no way it could've been 25 years. Why does it sometimes seem like yesterday? Weird enough, I often dream of him and he is seriously there with our whole family at 1196 or we are at the lake waterskiing or somewhere fun...just together the 6 J's and Carolyn and Lynn. So, I know families are forever...I love you Jeni!! =)

Traci said...

You made me cry. I wish I could of known that side of your dad. I don't remember much, but I do remember he was always so KIND to us kids. I loved going to your house when I was little. I love your sweet mom. My mom still talks about your dad with such fondness and admiration, but mostly love. In fact, just this past weekend, she was telling my little ones about her big brother, Lynn. I can't believe that it has been so long. My memories of when I was little are so fond. I am glad that I am your cousin. I love reading your blog. Thanks for sharing such tender feelings. You are awesome!