Monday, September 14, 2009

Conor, Stratton School Class President


We laid out Conor's 1st-day-of-school outfit last night. His grandma and grandpa with cowboy boots sent him a nice polo shirt for his birthday - navy blue with bright colored stripes. I picked out some khaki shorts to go with it, along with navy blue socks. Last night I showed it to him and explained that we'd have to get ready quickly because school started at 8:10am.

This morning Conor wanted nothing to do with the brightly colored polo shirt or shorts. He picked out an old mustard yellow shirt with a football on the front and some white and blue shorts that didn't match. I immediately said, "No way, Conor! It's the 1st day. Let me pick out what you wear today and you can wear that tomorrow!" At first I thought I could trick him. I put the striped polo shirt over his head, but he wasn't fooled. He began whining about how it was like church clothes and he wouldn't wear it. What was the right thing to do? Sorry, but I can't send my son to school on his first day in mismatched clothes!

So he wore his shark shirt (which is ironically a polo shirt too) with some gray hand-me-down shorts. Yes, he wore the same shirt to the orientation day that he wore today! Fashion faux pas, I know. Needless-to-say, we started the morning arguing about what to wear, arguing about how he had to eat something healthy for breakfast (not a chocolate chip cookie or a push-up pop), and how he had to hurry because we were going to be late!

There were no tears today.

The whole family got to walk Conor to and from school. :)

King of the Rock

Independence! He never looked back.


Future Kindergartner

When school was out, Conor brought home his "home/school" folder. The school sent home a form for us to look over and correct any errors. Most of the information on the form was blank, as if I hadn't given them papers and papers full of information about Conor, us, our doctor, and all of our emergency contacts! My personal favorite was this. Under the title, "Home Language Survey, First language spoken by your child," was listed FRENCH. hmmmmmm.

Je ne sais pas.

4 comments:

Sherene said...

Wow, he is growing up fast! We remember when we first moved here and he was a newborn! Glad we are able to be a part of the journey!

J S and S said...

Way to go Conor! -JS&S

Jody said...

Since most kids are on track here and we have a new charter school (so they start back in the summer), some of my friends told me their kids chose out mismatched, summery outfits or obviously HAD to wear the uniform.
I guess it's time for him to wear a white button down church shirt with a tie and pressed long church pants to church =)
LOVE the pic of Brian & kids walking to school. Nice photography Jeni!

Jody said...

Dang, I forgot to say something about the French language! That is hilarious. Tu ne parle pas Francais Jeni? Je parle Fracais un peu. =)