
Some of my latest philosophical thoughts......
Now that our life has the permanent built-in structure of public school, I have given thought to a few things:
- There is a window of time and opportunity with our children that is really priceless (hard work too) before they enter school. The freedom and flexibility of waking up each new day with endless possibilities has a certain amount of romanticism. Despite the long laundry list (yes, this includes doing laundry) of household chores and attending to your kids' needs each day, it's kind of cool to go to bed at night thinking that there is nothing pressing for tomorrow. At our house we enjoyed many mornings in our pajamas that turned into afternoons in our pajamas. We have literally "gone with the flow" of what the kids feel like doing, what I feel like doing, and what the world has to offer us that day. We've spent hours outside just observing the world.
- Conor and Megan had an opportunity to be together and play together nearly all day every day for 3 years. That time is treasured. They are the best of friends. And they can wrestle like brothers!
- School brings with it a whole philosophical change of life. Namely conformity. I am so glad that I
(we) gave Conor 6 years of being a complete NON-conformist. He was pretty much the king of the hill. Of course we gave him boundaries and limitations, and we teach him about respect and kindness, but he has been allowed to play, play, play, and direct the course of his days at home. I could write a book on this topic. I am an educator myself, but I find myself feeling very cynical. My cynicism stems partly from the clashes between educational philosophy and good teaching practices. What actually happens in a classroom and what is possible in the classroom are two very different things. They (the big shots - often politicians -) have unrealistic expectations of school-aged children. We don't educate them with the most educationally sound practices. We answer to the state standards before we really tune in to what the kids are developmentally ready for and interested in. I am hardly the first to feel these frustrating and real tensions. How is it possible that I already feel them after only the 2nd week of kindergarten? It brings back the same philosophical debate & the same tensions I felt as a teacher. Gender is also a huge factor and worth another blog post. We have already had a phone call from Conor's teacher and he's already gotten into some "trouble" at school. I adore Conor. It makes me sad to know that people interpret his enthusiasm for deviant behavior. My friend sent me the link to this article called "Pressure-cooker kindergarten" which I find terribly disheartening, yet reality.
- I know a little better why our prophets (as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) have counseled us to put our role as mothers first. Teaching children during their pre-school years give us an amazing opportunity. We can assure them that their questions are valued, their thoughts are extraordinary, and that they are a unique child of God with unlimited potential.
3 comments:
So true! Sometimes I want to homeschool, but I don't want the kids to miss out on the socialization. I also really like their teachers, but feel like the system confines them to teaching practices that aren't always ideal. I feel like my time with Kara at home is so precious, even when we're doing laundry. So even though I'd love to go back to teaching, I'm waiting a few more years.
Truly excellent observations.
Have you thought about home schooling? How about un schooling? I just learned about it and am interested in learning more.
I've been struggling this week/month with these exact same issues! My heart sinks a little every time Bryn brings home a fill-in-the-blank assignment. I miss the days of choose-your-own-adventure.
I remember Darlyne M. telling me one day about how she was watching Conor and Bryn rehearse for the primary program a couple of years ago, and how they were very "energetic." I shook my head and said, "yah, I guess I ought to do something about that," to which she replied, "NO! Don't change a thing! I hope no one is ever able to squash their spirit!" or something like that. Amen, Darlyne, amen.
Post a Comment