Thursday, September 10, 2009

Someone is SIX

What a fantastic birthday! 09-09-09

Pretty cool day for Mr. Conor. He is officially six. We cut off the last paper chain. Conor had collected a little pile of presents, which he took his sweet-six time to open. Our day began with breakfast with Ben (our neighbor & friend). Waffles & lots of syrup. Legos came next, which are a new interest for him. He and Megan also had to take a nice long bath (yes, they still bathe together. Maybe this will end at age 6?) with his new Playmobil submarine and diving bell.

Conor had 2 requests for his birthday (other than that he would like presents). 1. He wanted pumpkin pie instead of a cake and 2. He wanted to go to the beach.

We took him up to Gloucester to a State Park (really close to Wingaersheek). It was a blast. The sand was super soft under our feet. The water was cold, but it was a nice afternoon with no bugs. We hung out on this little beach, buried a dead fish we found, climbed on the rocks, and played chase. Then we walked up to a huge park, walked over to a rocky beach, watched boats, ate ice cream, and enjoyed family time. On the drive home Conor very sincerely said, "Mom and Dad.... Thanks for taking me the beach." Our hearts melted. What a good boy. We love Conor for many reasons, but one of my favorite things about him is the way he thinks about the world. He described the smell of Legal Seafood the other day, as we were driving by with our windows down. He said, "Mmmmmm, it smells like a restaurant with fish.... with a little bit of nice bread.... mixed with the ocean." He loves smelling the ocean, and when we are in the city he breathes in and says, "Ahhhh, I love the smell of the city!" We love the way this 6-year-old describes his surroundings, the words he uses, his sense of humor, and he is quite the handsome young lad too.

We ended our day with the celebratory Pumpkin Pie. Judy and Anna, at Conor's request, were the invited guests.

Happy Birthday dear Conor! WE LOVE YOU!



4 comments:

Cami said...

Wow, I was thinking all day yesterday about what a waste of a cool date it was that I didn't know of anything significant going on. Now I do. Happy Birthday Conor!

rebecca said...

happy birthday to conor! I think both of his birthday requests were Awesome.

Queen Elizabeth said...

Apparently, mother of the year (Jen) is feeling BETTER - yea! What a fabulous, memorable day. I can't believe he's six - happy bday Conor!

Jody said...

WOW Conor!! Happy Belated Birthday on the coolest day of the century!! I loved that day 09-09-09 and wished I could have my birthday that day. I am glad you had a great time and just so you know Auntie Jody doesn't really like birthday cake on her birthday either. That pie sounds like a fine idea!! I wish I could go to the beach on my birthday too!! We love you CONOR!! XOXOXO Auntie Jody and Jeff, Adam & Sara