Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Benevolent Wishbone

We had a small rotisserie chicken a few weeks ago. After dinner, while I was taking off the meat, I was excited to find a wishbone. We let it dry out and saved it for the kids. Our November Advent/Thanksgiving Calendar is now a 3-year tradition and we've needed some fresh ideas. The wishbone was perfect! We put it in one of the pockets in early November for the kids to wish on. Tears were inevitable if we played by traditional "rules" for wishbones: one winner, one loser. So we let the kids each make a wish and told them that the one who broke off the bigger piece got to make an extra wish. They were way more excited than I had expected the night we did our wishing. And, the benevolent wishbone, from some benevolent chicken,
broke into 3 almost equal-sized pieces! Conor and Megan ended up being granted 2 lucky wishes each, and had huge grins on their faces. What Thanksgiving fun!

2 comments:

Cami said...

I'm dying to know what they wished for. Whoever first made the "if you tell your wish then it won't come true" rule should be scolded.

Wendster said...

Wow! I've never heard of it breaking in three.
And that was a great idea to give an extra wish. Really brilliant.
I agree with Cami.