Thursday, February 11, 2010

Is he really only SIX?

Tonight Conor and I had perhaps the most profound conversation thus far in his almost 6 1/2 years of existence.

Between the two books we read tonight, I was telling the kids about the jar I was going to bring to church on Sunday to primary to collect coins for the people in Haiti. As we got ourselves into bed, Conor said (to my best recollection -- I raced to my room to jot down all that I could),
"Mom, I have a hard question that I need you to answer. If you were me, would you give the money from my missionary bank to Haiti, or save it for my mission? It's really hard. It's good to help Haiti, but it's also good to talk about Jesus to people. I want to do the right thing. It's a really hard choice because lots of persons don't go to church, and I need to help Haiti. What would you do?"

First I told him that this was the most thoughtful question he has ever had and I was both proud of him and so glad that he is kind. Then I told him that maybe he could save his missionary money, and his dad and I could help him donate money to Haiti. He was still really struggling with the choice. He said,

"Mom, say that in the prayer for help. It might come to me in my brain."

Then while I was trying to record the above information, he said, "This might work! I give at least one person enough money to go on an airplaine to a church that is closest to them, so I can do both! (pause) But,...............I don't have enough money.

So, we said our prayer and asked God to help Conor know what he should do.

Afterward, Conor's insight was really quite humbling for me. He explained that,
"It's like I don't know if my brain says to give it to Haiti because it also says to save it for missionary work. How can I tell if it's my brain telling me or the Holy Ghost?"

I started telling him how sometimes we have two good choices and both of them would be okay to Heavenly Father. He pointed out several similar examples, one of which was trying to choose a race car or a rocket ship. Conor explained that they are both almost the same, so it's hard to decide.
Then, after lying in bed for a few more minutes he added,

"But, mom. I really want to help Haiti. There are only three hospitals, and the only rooms left are in the hallways of the hospital. This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make. (long pause again....) Mom, what if I could do that mission thing in Arlington?
I repeated, "You mean serve your mission in Arlington?"
He said, "Ya, then I wouldn't have to use all that money."
How can a child this small and this young know so much about right and wrong and about wanting to do the right thing? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Primary organization have made all the difference in our home. I am so proud of Conor's hard decision, and the thoughtful way he approaches life.

6 comments:

Wendster said...

He sure is a considerate boy.

Maybe he'd like to do a fundraiser of some kind? With that kind of a brain he's bound to think up a good one.

rebecca said...

That's an amazing thought process for such a young boy! How wonderful that you've recorded it here.

Jim and Lisa said...

Wow! That is pretty profound...so young and trying to live the gospel. You two must be teaching him well, too!

J S and S said...

I love how amazing their little brains and spirits are :) There are many non-monetary things you could do. Consider praying for them, making something to send like a small quilt or doll or writing a child a letter. You could even donate your time at your local humanitarian center??? -JS&S

Queen Elizabeth said...

That is precious. Fabulous that you recorded it all. I think YOU need to put a star on YOUR forehead for being such a great mom!!! I vote you start a lemonade stand with your awesome homemade recipe and let your kiddos raise money thath way... ooops, it's not warm enough... what about hot chocolate?

Jody said...

Conor- Aunt Jody LOVES you! You do have a very special spirit and are so thoughtful. You are already a very important boy, but I think you are going to become a very important missionary and man one day too.=)
Thanks Jeni for sharing (& thanks to you & Brian for raising such an incredible kid!! Hi Megan!)