Valentine's Day. It began with a phone call. Yes, that phone call from the fire department. It's Sunday. It's Valentine's Day. But, Brian accepted an overtime to work until 6pm. Even though we've agreed that it's wise to take any overtime calls to work (paying the bills is not optional), I felt mad. I have to take the kids to church by myself, do all my primary duties, and I don't even have my Valentine by my side!
The kids got their cards and candy, including a small toy to play with this morning. Brian laid out a Valentine's Day card for his mom and a box of snow caps for us to take to her today. I gave Brian his Valentine and a large quantity of chocolate. As he headed off to work, I kissed him (reluctantly) and with a bit of sarcasm said, "Happy Valentine's Day."
I love everything about Brian. We've been married for close to 8 years and I have learned that although he is extremely kind and easy going, he isn't big into holidays. While dating, like most twitterpated men, he sent me love letters and adorable reminders that he was in love with me. Now he doesn't do that, which I remind him of more than is probably necessary.
This morning after Brian left for work we ate oatmeal, and I made a delicious fruit smoothie. Then Brian called. Another phone call. I said, "You know how on Mother's Day you say that it's your mom for whom you ought to show appreciation?" (I had premeditated and planned out my attacking words.) "Well, it's Valentine's Day, so you should show appreciation for your Valentine." He said something like, "Well, anyone can be your Valentine." My reply, "Honey, someday you are going to wake up and smell the roses. A little appreciation goes a long way." We still said, "I love you" and our conversation ended. I poured myself some fruit smoothie and sat down at the computer.
My heart sank. Tilted against the computer screen was a white envelope with "Wifey" written on it and a heart drawn underneath. I hesitantly
opened the card, knowing that I spoke thoughtlessly and would soon be filled with guilt. It was a beautiful card filled with kind words about how much I mean to him. Then there was another smaller envelope containing a gift certificate for a massage. Oh my, I could use a massage, and I have made that known on a regular basis for the past few months. My eyes got all watery and I felt so insensitive.
opened the card, knowing that I spoke thoughtlessly and would soon be filled with guilt. It was a beautiful card filled with kind words about how much I mean to him. Then there was another smaller envelope containing a gift certificate for a massage. Oh my, I could use a massage, and I have made that known on a regular basis for the past few months. My eyes got all watery and I felt so insensitive. Another phone call. This time it was me calling the fire department. "Honey, I am so mean." Laughter from his end reminded me that Brian is practically incapable of being angry.

Wake up and smell the roses. I didn't wake up to a dozen roses displaying Brian's undying love for me. Nope. I woke up showing the worst of myself to the person I love the most. Happy Valentine's Day! So much for the kind words I wrote to him in his valentine. He'll always remember me saying, "Some day you will wake up and smell the roses!"
8 comments:
This could have been me. Love the story. Happy Valentine's day!
Everyday is Valentine`s Day at THE EDMUND INN.
: )
That is too funny Jen...I have learned after 19 years of being married to someone who is "just not that into Holidays" either - I don't expect a dang thing and then, surprise!, I get 3 roses yesterday from him from WalMart...cute, huh?
I would be completely happy if someone cancelled Valentines Day. I think it is a useless holiday meant to trick people into spending money and living out unrealistic expectations. That said- my Brian always manages to do something nice for me earlier in the week just to cover his butt. I got the biggest laugh over the whole story and saw myself in so much of it. You hubby is a catch with or without VDay. You and I are so alike. Love ya sis.
Oh and I do celebrate the holiday by eating as much chocolate as possible and making soft sugar cookies with tons of frosting. Thats the only good thing about it!
Oh, I am so guilty of doing the same thing!
This was a beautiful, transparent, post.
Thank you for sharing it.
I can't imagine that a single person, including myself, hasn't been in the same shoes on a rather regular basis.
xoxoox
super sweet. I often show my worst self to Will, and he still sticks around. Amazing how that works eh?
This comment has nothing to do with your post... Where oh where is my sister??? It is March and not one post... I miss you :)
Post a Comment