Happy Birthday to Brian! This is the big 5 - 0. Brian is the greatest husband and dad ever. Conor and Megan are his hugest fans. Despite Conor being enamored with Brian, the thought of daddy turning FIFTY years old has been somewhat disconcerting. Here are a few of Conor's comments regarding this monumental birthday.
Tuesday, April 20th we were driving to the Cape & I commented to Brian, "I can't believe it's less than 3 weeks from your birthday!" We talked briefly about how strange it was that he was turning 50. Conor said, "Dad, when you turn 50, you are going to be halfway to 100!"
Saturday, April 24th I asked the kids what special thing they wanted to give daddy for his birthday because this was a "landmark" birthday. I tried to explain what that meant, using turning 8-years-old as an example (when we get baptized). Conor answered right away, "Since he's almost 100, we should get him one of those chairs so he doesn't have to walk up the stairs." A few minutes later Conor added, "It's sad because dad is going to die 1st because he is 50 and you're just 29." I couldn't stop laughing all night!! (For the record, in August I'll be a decade older than that.)
Conor woke up early this morning and started making confetti by cutting squares of paper and then coloring them with markers. Megan joined in when she woke up and the kids waited anxiously for him to come home from the firehouse. Megan watched carefully out the window and alerted Conor when daddy pulled into the driveway. Daddy spotted Megan too and Megan was laughing so hard. When Brian walked through the door Conor threw the confetti all over. Then we made the birthday boy breakfast.
We ate birthday cake for lunch.
Tonight Brian and I spent 5 hours together, which was definitely a present for both of us. We planned to go get steamers, but ended up at Jordan's furniture and ate at Fuddruckers.
One of the things we did for Brian today was give him 50 Lindt truffles, each attached to a small note from a friend or from me, Conor or Megan. I gathered some really thoughtful words from many of Brian's friends. It's very hard to do things for Brian because although he is easy to please, he expects nothing. Seriously. Thanks to everyone who contributed to that gift.
Happiest of birthdays BRIAN!!!!!
3 comments:
Love it. The truffles idea is priceless. Keep up the good work, Brian!
Wow. I can't even believe that he is 50. Tell him Happy Birthday from Kyle and Amy. We're pretty sure he can still tear it up on the basketball court. He's so lucky to have such a great family.
out of the mouthes of babes! It is a good thing that your hubby has a sense of humor! love it~
Post a Comment