Thursday, August 8, 2013

St. John, New Brunswick

St. John, New Brunswick is about 20 minutes away from New River Beach.  Brian went into St. John to look up some family history information and saw this amazing Aquatic Center there.  The next day we went.  It was awesome.  Conor wants his next birthday party to be there.  (You're invited to a swimming party.  Meet us in New Brunswick, Canada.)






We also went to a museum in St. John and walked around town.  We learned about The Great Fire of 1877 where a spark fell into hay and spread across the entire city.  The fire burned almost 9 hours, effecting over 1600 buildings.  The city had to be rebuilt because the damage was so severe.  They had an architect from Boston help design the new city so it resembles Boston.  That's probably why we like St. John so much.










********************************

On the way home we stopped in St. John again and went into the Fire Museum:



This "firefighter" likes to climb up poles instead of slide down them


1 comment:

Jody said...

Finally, I am catching up at looking at your blog. I just noticed that the fire station says '1840' - that is only 10 years after the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was established back on the earth. Pretty cool. I love history and wish I could travel with your family. What great memories you are creating!!