Recently I received this link to Diane Ravitch's speech at the National Convention on Education (2011). Ravitch's ideas were so educationally sound and logically convincing that I had to read her book.
It's called, The Death and Life of the Great American School System - How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education. It is quite comprehensive and includes a wealth of information. I think everyone ought to read (at least) the last chapter of her book, "Lessons Learned."These points in the book were the most poignant to me:
1. I respect the simple fact that Ravitch has educational experience behind her words. So many well-meaning people, who have no idea how a public school functions, like to give educational mandates. Ravitch served under both the H. W. Bush and Clinton administrations (as assistant secretary in charge of the Office of Educational Research and Innovation), and is an educational historian. She was a proponent of NCLB (No Child Left Behind) until she realized that it wasn't working. There were many indicators to show that this policy has not actually helped children, yet Ravitch seems to be the only scholar willing to honestly and publicly acknowledge it.
2. Changing schools to be competitive in nature, rather than cooperative undermines important principles of education. I would have sunk as a new teacher had I not worked with a cooperative team of teachers. Ravitch says,
Business leaders like the idea of turning the schools into a marketplace where the consumer is king. But the problem with the marketplace is that it dissolves communities and replaces them with consumers. Going to school is not the same as going shopping. Parents should not be burdened with locating a suitable school for their child. They should be able to take their child to the neighborhood public school as a matter of course and expect that it has well-educated teachers and a sound educational program (pg. 221).and
The new corporate reformers betray their weak comprehension of education by drawing false analogies between education and business. They think they can fix education by applying the principles of business, organization, management, law, and marketing and by developing a good data-collection system that provides the information necessary to incentivize the workforce -- principals, teachers, and students -- with appropriate rewards and sanctions (pg. 11).
3. I have always recognized the limit that testing has in defining success. After all, I have never been a great test taker. When pressure is high, my stress level is also high. [In high school I didn't pass the AP History nor the AP English exam. I was devastated. My ACT score was mediocre, but I had a high GPA. Due to high stress during high stakes exams, I admit that I've played "dot to dot games" with certain multiple choice sections of these tests. When I applied to graduate school, Boston University asked me to re-take the GRE to improve my verbal score. Tufts, on the other hand, was satisfied with the score I got, coupled with my undergraduate GPA, my letters of recommendation, and my personal essays. I went to Tufts.] Ravitch says,
Tests are necessary and helpful. But tests must be supplemented by human judgment. When we define what matters in education only by what we can measure, we are in serious trouble. When that happens, we tend to forget that schools are responsible for shaping character, developing sound minds in healthy bodies, and forming citizens for our democracy, not just for teaching basic skills. We even forget to reflect on what we mean when we speak of a good education. Surely we have more in mind than just bare literacy and numeracy. And when we use the results of tests, with all their limitations, as a routine means to fire educators, hand out bonuses, and close schools, then we distort the purpose of schooling altogether (pg. 166-167).4. Last, my passion as an educator was re-ignited as I read Ravitch's chapter about her English Teacher, Mrs. Ratliff. I have also had teachers who influenced me significantly and taught me to question and think. Mr. Bailey was my Current Issues teacher when I was a senior in high school. During one of our first classes of the year he passed out maps of the world and asked us to identify as many countries as we could. Embarrassingly, most of us could not name very many. 22 years later, I saved my hand-written notes from Mr. Bailey's class. His taught us about the Vietnam War, about Watergate, and how to think and defend our position. I still remember learning how many young soldiers and Americans were disillusioned by the Vietnam War. This learning impacted me. All of our tests in Mr. Bailey's class were short essay questions -- never multiple choice. Mid-year we had a test in Current Issues, during which a student was caught cheating. Mr. Bailey came into the room and told us how he felt about cheating. He was angry, disappointed, and he walked out on us that day. I will never forget how that felt. In spite of the fact that Mr. Baily was probably the best academic teacher I have ever had, he was even more concerned about our character and that we were honest human beings.
After listening to Diane Ravitch speak and reading her book, I have changed my mind about wanting to send Conor or Megan to any other school than our neighborhood school. I want to invest in my community and support public schools. Ravitch suggests that neighborhood schools foster democratic principles where parents can share concerns and experience a sense of community. I'm all for that.
6 comments:
I need to find time to watch the link and re-read your thoughts. But, I definitely agree with you. Marcus has attended 3 public schools and they have all been completely different with different strengths and weaknesses. It sure would be nice if public schools were more similar so you know what you're getting into.
Also, I had Mr. Bailey as a teacher (Go Vikings!). He was incredible. I still remember the pages and pages of essays I'd write for our tests. I wish I had been smart like you and saved them.
I really enjoyed this post. My friend linked it, and I appreciate your thoughts on the issue. My first daughter starts kindergarten in the fall, and I have always felt like it was important to support public schools. It is nice to hear some sound reasons that agree with me.
Jen- I love when you post thought provoking stuff like this. Blogs are for comments of all types so please let me share my own negative one.
I happen to live in a state that has completely lost the trust of the public. Nevada is the lowest of the dregs when it comes to test scores, graduation, pretty much everything. We are lucky because Annacy has a great teacher. I couldnt stand the ideas Ravitch said in your point #2. I feel like its completely my job discription as a mom (not a burden like Ravitch states) to worry about where my kid goes to school, what she is learning, what she is eating, her character, and forming her sound mind in her healthy body. I have friends who are ripping their hair out in frustration with the incompetent teachers/lousy curriculum their kids are fed for six hours a day. What can they do? Smile and be thankful all their neighbors are in the same sinking ship? Please-
If you were wondering (and not annoyed yet) what my idea is on a quick fix for public schools it is simple. No more Unions. (I love Brian though) (hahahaha)
Love you sis. Thanks for getting my heart rate up with a good public school debate. Love from Reno
My dear little sister,
You taught in a public school, right? Without a union you have no recourse. I have a very long story, which I'm pretty sure you have heard, about when my new principal came in to "change our school" and show those of us who didn't have professional status (and part of the union) who was BOSS. Her assistant principal hadn't even met me and gave me an unsatisfactory on an observation she made, which directly influenced my ability to obtain professional status as a teacher in MA. The principal and her assistant made all of our lives as teachers miserable and our school became a hostile environment.
I completely disagree with your opinion about unions, particularly if the result is replacing them with a competitive corporate culture. Let me assure you, you don't want your children to be taught by teachers who are competing for merit pay?!!! All they will care about is teaching your kids to pass federally mandated tests so that they can have job security and higher wages. Education is all about collaboration, not competition. It doesn't work any other way. If I were given merit pay for how my children turned out, that doesn't allow for something we hold very sacred in our beliefs -- Free Agency. Of course I am fundamentally my child's best teacher and I am eternally responsible for his/her growth and character. But, each of us is free to choose. Schools are meant to support my efforts as a parent and to teach good values too --- hard work, responsibility, kindness, and most importantly, to educate them. They are not designed to teach religion, but they can certainly be expected to promote good citizenship.
I'm sure that our differences of opinion are smaller than they seem on the surface, but we can chat in in person about them. This has my heart racing too. Don't get me started with unions......
xoxox
jenifer
I love it!! And I love you. I know you were an amazing teacher because I know your dedication and amazing skills. I do want to ask, based on your response, so is the purpose of the Union to make sure no one is deemed unsatisfactory or mediocre? If my Brian doesnt pass an inspection he doesnt feel attacked or hostile or hurt or singled out...he takes the list and attacks each point of criticism. What is it about teachers that makes them feel that a merit system is hostile? I ask in complete wonder not to attack you. Our Nevada schools are horrible (bottom baby, the BOTTOM)we cant keep crying about feelings whenever someone wants to crack down.
I feel so frustrated that my hands are tied if we dont like Annacys teacher (and not just petty dislike- we are talking terrible teaching) and I cant shop around when sending Annacy to school. Wouldnt it be great if WE as parents could visit the school and interview the teacher before we invest in their services. Just a thought. Personally I do want to shop for a schools like I shop for a bike jacket. Research research research. I promise I am a smart consumer and better yet a smart investor.
Ok so dont judge me on my spelling. (critisism?) My brain has gone down hill since all I read is Junie B Jones.
Write back soon. I love this. This is what blog comments are made for.
Love, your favorite sis!
Thanks for the provoking conversation. This is a fun discussion and it makes me challenge my own ideas about education too. I don't know if I represented Ravitch's points fairly and adequately because I put them through my own filter. I do suggest reading her book (to anyone) because she has a life time of experience. Her book is full of empirical studies too, which help add to the credibility of her opinion.
As for my experience with the Union, I am not sure that I buy into their basic philosophy myself. I'm not sure what other options teachers have. (And in the case of Brian, I'm not sure what other options firefighters have either.) I have a lot to learn about unions in order to form a more educated position.
I completely agree that as educators we have to be corrected and grow and be told that we stink occasionally too. (After all, I was only a 2nd year teacher when I had that bad experience.) That story probably wasn't a good one to tie into Ravitch's points. So, in answer to your question, YES, teachers ought to be told they can't be mediocre. They have to continually have growth and professional development. They need to be given mentors and opportunities for learning. And, I agree (and so does Ravitch) that teachers need to be accountable. In my case, I had a bad "boss," and I'm sure you would agree with me if you worked for her. There are lots of people who have difficult bosses, so what do we do? Who protects us from hostile work environments? I don't have that answer.
About shopping around for a good school, Ravitch's point was that you shouldn't HAVE to shop around because our cities and towns and states ought to provide an appropriate education for everyone. Presently, educational policy reflects the economic inequities that we find all around us.
I kind of feel like I'm going around in circles with my arguments, but Ravtich was trying to reveal research about the fact that No Child Left Behind policy failed, that National Test Scores have NOT improved significantly in spite of the sweeping reforms, and that Charter Schools have simply re-allocated public funds to support only the most motivated (and lucky -- ie. lottery) students, not ALL children. Research shows that the answers that we as a nation have sought to solve educational problems (students not well-educated, ineffective teachers, etc. etc.) is NOT found in Charter Schools and Vouchers. So, what do we do? That is the question.
The attitudes we bring with us as public school parents are huge too. Your children are lucky to have you as their mom and their advocate.
So,again, what do we do? You and I can help solve this problem!!!!????
xox
Post a Comment